Where to start studing?

Basic Tutorials concerning: GUI, Views, Activites, XML, Layouts, Intents, ...

Where to start studing?

Postby Fresh83 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:34 am

About 3 weeks ago i started my journy from 0 to Android Developer for a rather large project im working on with several other developers i recruited.

I did my research and found out android was Java based, Downloaded the android sdk, eclipse , the java sdk
and spent literally the last 3 weeks non stop morning to 4 am every day studying java (plain ol ' java ) and its payed off i feel very comfortable reading it and pretty comfortable writting and debuging it .

Tonight im ready to step into the mobile side of this ,id lke to know if anyone has any studying resources theyd like to share ? for getting into android .Of course i will try the hello world app already posted but, should i be studying like i was with java for android?

Right now im saving all my links as i go to put together a post when im done studying and comfortable writting apps for any non programmer to follow, i think it will be a good sticky for around here because i know when i first started doing research i ended up around here with no clue java needed to be learned first.
Fresh83
Developer
Developer

Postby waynesilver » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:41 pm

There are two of us now who would like this info. I have been prowling the tutorials, looking at sample code, and I am still left with more questions than answers.

I am trying to get a file into the emulator, so I can write code against it. First I would like to know where some resources are, besides this website.
waynesilver
Developer
Developer

Postby wjspoel » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:48 pm

I started with Hello Android by Ed Burnette. Has a lot of example and explanations.

I am not sure it's allowed to download it for free, so I won't give a direct link. But is is listed on google somewhere.
So search on google for "hello android pdf" (without the quotes) and I think you will be lucky 8)

Good Luck
wjspoel
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby powell » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:37 am

Look for Beginning Android by Mark L. Murphy. Great book, available in a PDF format, really worth reading.

There is also Android Essentials by Chris Haseman.

Both of them are example-oriented, easy to understand and fun.
powell
Freshman
Freshman

Return to Novice Tutorials