Very beginner help

Basic Tutorials concerning: GUI, Views, Activites, XML, Layouts, Intents, ...

Very beginner help

Postby zzany » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:02 pm

So I have started learning how to program for android. I have everything I need to program, but am having trouble. I have read countless pages of tutorials, I know about services, activities, etc. But none of it is sinking in. I am not an idiot, but I do not learn this way. When I learned C++ (I do have some programming experience) I was taught the void main, and a print function, and asked to write a quick program, and bam, I've learned it. Then he teaches me a loop, and so one input it writes this and another input it writes that. I could learn like that, and am looking for some tutorials like that.

Also, to start out, I think writing one of those apps that are a fact generator would be basic and easy enough to learn from. As far as I can tell, It has 4 basic functions, one the background, 2 the text for the fact, and 3rd the next and previous buttons, and 4th the service that reads the button inputs and uses them to scroll through the facts.

So any help on either would be greatly appreciated
zzany
Freshman
Freshman

Re: Very beginner help

Postby orhanc1 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:07 pm

Well, the tutorials on the developer.Android website helped me quite a bit.
developer.android.com/guide/tutorials/views/index.html
If you don't know about Java, then maybe you should get up to scratch with that. Get comfortable using it. Then, move onto making small apps. After that, I started to find my way around and the learning just became perpetual.
orhanc1
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby limteckchai » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:44 am

Why don't u get ur hands dirty and start now... post here if u need help , i will try to find time to help you if it is within my means. If I do not reply this board for 1 day, feel free to IM or email me @ lim_teck_chai@hotmail.com.
And include your topic in the email or i wouldn't reply.
Lastly please ask all your questions on this board as others can benefit from it too.
limteckchai
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby zzany » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:38 pm

ok limteckchai. Well I have started reading tutorials and have an idea for my first app. This app should be very simple, with really only 4 objects. Two buttons, one that displays the next set of text, one that displays the previous set of text. The third being the text (I have heard that I could store this text either on network side or actually put it in the code, which sounds much easier so I will do that) and the background. So i am working on finding a way to do that, most importantly the buttons.
zzany
Freshman
Freshman

Postby limteckchai » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:32 am

lol congrats !!!
I will help u with the app, will post the codes hopefully by end of today.
limteckchai
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby limteckchai » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:05 am

Have fun!! let me know if u need help after this :shock:
Attachments
factsbyteckchai.rar
The codes are all inside!!
(42.73 KiB) Downloaded 62 times
limteckchai
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby zzany » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:36 pm

I know this sounds really lame but I do not know how to open the file :(

*nevermind I think I've got it

*I opened to .rar file by decrypting it, but can't figure out how to then import that to work on in eclipse
zzany
Freshman
Freshman

Postby limteckchai » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:47 am

Congrats on getting it done!!!
zzany wrote:I need to talk to you some way other than that post. I believe I opened it but there is an error, under src, com.android.words (thats what I named the project that I imported it into to) then words.java. The error is " setContentView(R.layout.main);" and it says R cannot be resolved into a variable. IS that my fault? let me know how to reach you

U can IM me at lim_teck_chai@hotmail.com
apart from that, i live in singapore so i dun think u can contact me thru mobile.

As for not being able to resolve R
it is not your fault, what u can do is that you can clean the project, and then press spacebar on the page n save the codes again. it should be ok by then.
//ORIGINAL CODE
Code: Select all
public void hi()
{
String i = "zz";
}

//press a random key , u can add a comment or spacebar somewhere it doesn't hurt too
Code: Select all
public void hi()
{
String i = "zz"; //
}

then just recompile and all is fine :P

found a post on this hope it helps, but dun ask me how to use the ADB command thing.... i never had the chance to discover
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8850 ... roid-error
limteckchai
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Return to Novice Tutorials