Request Tutorials Here !

Basic Tutorials concerning: GUI, Views, Activites, XML, Layouts, Intents, ...

Request Tutorials Here !

Postby plusminus » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:09 am

:!: If you'd love to have a tutorial on XYZ, just post your request here :!: ,
and maybe someone will work it out as soon as possible .

Regards,
plusminus
Last edited by plusminus on Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:11 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Image | Android Development Community / Tutorials
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Request Tutorials Here !

Postby fresco » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:35 am

May be somebody knows where can I find example of creating tabbed window view by using TabHost class ?

[Edit by plusminus]
:cry: Rejected
Reason: TabHost is deprectated and will be removed from the SDK soon!
Re-Request it after that...!
fresco
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby ramvi » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:52 am

I've studied C++ for a year, but have programmed in PHP for a long time. Java (or any other programming language) isn't too far from the C++ / PHP structure. As a PHP programmer I've been spoiled with php.net. I would like to see a tutorial in "How to get help yourself learning java / android". "This URL is a great place for finding functions" etc

What java snippets you find on the web will work in android? None, because most of them are in JavaEE and Android uses Dalvik?

[Edit by plusminus]
:cry: "Rejected"
Reason: Mostly all Java-Codes will work in Android as you are coding 'normal' Java ;), except the GUI-Widget-Stuff and the specialized Android-Stuff. (You are going to learn both here) :!:

For learning some specialties take a look at the following URIs.
It's an really nice interactive multiple-choice quiz, which I read to learn from for my programming cours-tests.
http://chortle.ccsu.edu/CS151/cs151java.html

For learning Android itself from the base, stay tuned to this forum :)
ramvi
Freshman
Freshman

Postby atr » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:13 am

Tutorials about all the GUI widgets would be really useful, like Eclipse - SWT or Java2s :wink:

[Edit by plusminus]
:) Semi-Accepted
Reason: The widgets will be used in all the Tutorials from time to time. If you have a special need/interest, let us know.
i.e.: You'll find a tutorial that uses drawing overlays on a MapView in the late evening hours (Latest tomorrow)
atr
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby fresco » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:38 am

Tutorial for working with files would be nice. Create new file, read, write operations and so on.

[Edit by plusminus]
:) Accepted
Reason: Not seen explicitly somewhere else.

[Edit by plusminus]
:) DONE
See Tutorial: :arrow: here
fresco
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby atr » Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:40 am

Hi all,

I was thinking about image/pictures? Never seen any tutorial about it. Thanks!

[Edit by plusminus]
:) Accepted (refine please)
Reason: What exactly are you thinking of? (the Gallery /ImageView ...?)
atr
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby deimos » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:32 pm

I'd like to see a working tutorial on streaming music with the media player from a url if anyone knows one.

Thanks,
_D

[Edit by plusminus]
:) Accepted (refine pls)
Reason: You mean like listening to a radio-stream or sth?

An MPEG audio stream would be cool, but I was thinking just a simple example, streaming a mp3 from a url.
Last edited by deimos on Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deimos
Freshman
Freshman

Postby atr » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:48 pm

atr wrote:Hi all,

I was thinking about image/pictures? Never seen any tutorial about it. Thanks!

[Edit by plusminus]
:) Accepted (refine please)
Reason: What exactly are you thinking of? (the Gallery /ImageView ...?)

Yeah, some kind of simple gallery, or list of names, then if you click it, it displays a picture. Thanks +/-

[Edit by plusminus]
Accepted
atr
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Tools/Emulator tutorial

Postby rtreffer » Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:25 pm

- The emulator provides some interresting parameters, e.g. -qemu -m <memory>, -qemu -net <networking>
    - "toolbox" (the android busybox) provides an interface to work inside your android emulator (e.g. check network interfaces, memory consumption, processes, ...)
    - adb allows easy installation and some basic introspection into the platform
    - ant/activityBuilder can be a great help to compile/deploy applications from the command line
It is quite usefull to optimize/streamline your own development concept. Learning/understanding the tools is a key part. (plus well have to work with the emulator for up to 6 months - no devices, just emulators).
root@localhost# : ( ) { : | : & } ; :
rtreffer
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby Dachhel » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:48 am

It would be nice to have a basic example which uses XMPP for interaction between several mobile phones. If someone knew a good link where I can learn about using XMPP, I would be glad too.
Dachhel
Once Poster
Once Poster

Postby XterierK » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:44 am

Hi,

I was thinking of changing the loading up screen from that red ball moving back and forth to something more graphical like something that takes up the whole screen.
Limited Imagination = Impossible!
XterierK
Freshman
Freshman

Intents in the Manifest

Postby Spoogle » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:55 pm

Hey - recently posted this to the 'Beginner's' Google Group, but this may be a better place (thanks for making this, by the way!!)

I've been having trouble understanding how the intents system works in the Manifest, along with how file-types and locations on the filesystem are articulated in the code. Part of the confusion is that a lot of Google's example code assumes an app made by Google, so they use their namespace in the tutorials. But the entire framework was made by Google, so I have no idea when to replace 'google' with 'my_app_name', or how any of the lengthy this.that.that.other.... domains get formed.

Some of the many, many questions I was left with from their 'Intents' documentation (http://code.google.com/android/referenc ... ntent.html):
1) vnd.android.cursor.item/vnd.google.note is referred to as a file-type for the note application in intents-lingo. I have no idea what makes that a file-type, what items to replace in my own apps with what else (would a notes app called BonzaNotes use something like 'vnd.android.cursor.item/vnd.bonzanote.note', for instance? What does 'vnd' mean, or 'android.cursor.item'?) It would be really helpful to take that apart and explain what each component means.
2) In the line "<action android:value="com.google.android.notepad.action.EDIT_TITLE" />"... Again, what does 'com' stand for? Do I replace 'google' or 'android' in my own apps? How did they come up with that exact string of items?
How do I?
3) In the following lines, what do 'DEFAULT', 'ALTERNATIVE', and 'SELECTED_ALTERNATIVE' mean? These seem like really ambiguous (to the point of useless) categories for much of anything, but they seem to be
important in how the system works.
Syntax: [ Download ] [ Hide ]
Using xml Syntax Highlighting
  1. <category android:value="android.intent.category.DEFAULT" />
  3. <category android:value="android.intent.category.ALTERNATIVE" />
  5. <category android:value="android.intent.category.SELECTED_ALTERNATIVE" />
Parsed in 0.001 seconds, using GeSHi 1.0.8.4

It feels like there's a bit of a jump from the beginner-friendly tutorial to the hard-core programmer documentation, which is understandable - it's not Google job to teach us how to code. But a pointer on understanding some of this would be really helpful.

Thanks for any advice or tutorials anyone can provide.
Spoogle
Freshman
Freshman

Postby bibiodp » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:25 pm

Hi,

First, i'd like to support the previous request but in a more "general" way : a system global message handler tutorial, to learn how to handle system calls/messages such as time_tick, call_action, answer action... I'm trying to make my "incomingPhoneCallHandler" for many days but it doesn't work out and i'm out of solution

I'd also like a tuto about the emulator just to know what is implemented or not and how to receive a call i.e.

I hope you'll understand me (french developper inside :) ).

[Edit by plusminus]
:) Semi-Accepted

[Edit by plusminus]
:) DONE
See Tutorial: PhoneStateIntentReveiver :arrow: here
Replacing the DIAL-Action :arrow: here
bibiodp
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby afrausin » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:52 pm

Would it be possible to have tutorial showing how to create a program that connects, adds and edits data to a SQL database?
Thank you very much,
Augusto
ps. great site!

[Edit by plusminus]
:) Accepted
Reason: Everyone need such stuff :!:
afrausin
Once Poster
Once Poster

Postby johnny » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:51 pm

First post - better be something usefull:

How about a Tutorial about a online lookup to xml, rss whateveryouwant to retrieve data?

Something like a RSS Feed Reader...not very special but just the way of getting the information would be worth the effort, I think.

Never come close to really develop anything in java, but i like google, i like android and i once made a network ping pong for java (yeah, thx, I know I'm the big cheese).

I have more ideas my head but skills to write code - but I'm going to learn it!!

Would be nice if the tutorial could be written, or maybe just a hint to another readme, howto, faq on how to make internet lookups etc.

THX!!!

KEEP up your work +-, I like it a lot!
johnny
Freshman
Freshman

Next

Return to Novice Tutorials