Put Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-HX200V 1080p MTS to iMovie

Basic Tutorials concerning: GUI, Views, Activites, XML, Layouts, Intents, ...

Put Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-HX200V 1080p MTS to iMovie

Postby jssqlisa » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:47 am

The Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX200V ($479) is a high-end superzoom camera that does just about everything imaginable. Whether you're talking about its built-in GPS, 360 degree panorama maker, 10 fps burst shooting, instant HDR photos, or 1080/60p videos, the HX200V has nearly every bell and whistle ever created. To top it off, it features the highest resolution sensor in a compact camera (18 Megapixel, which may or may not be a good thing) as well as one one of the most powerful zoom lenses (30X).

I have a Sony CyberShot DSC-HX200V and I shot video using the AVCHD setting, but i can't import the file to my Mac. I am running OS 10.7.5 on an iMac 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5. I have up-to-date versions of iMovie and iPhoto. Neither of these programs will recognize the file. I tried importing using Final Cut and Adboe Premiere Pro as well, but with no success. Is there another way to import this file? Am I missing something? What do you suggest?

Have you met the above similar issue? The HX200V recorded 60p AVCHD is unsupported by iMovie up to now. In fact 1080 60p is a nonstandard format, it is can't be recognised by almost Mac Video Editing Softwares, including iMovie 11. How to make Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-HX200V footages compatible for iMovie anytime? The best way is to encode video to AIC, the iMovie's best suitable format. The best AVCHD to AIC Converter is recommended by some professional forums, which is devoted to transcoding AVCHD mts/m2ts files to most common edit tools. Below is the simple but useful guide for you.

Tip: This kind of MTS Converter for Mac not only can make your video editable in iMovie, but also can help you to edit your videos in other common editors,such as FCP, FCE, AdobePremiere and so on.

Step 1: Install and run the best MTS Converter for Mac you have found. Add Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-HX200V footages to the converter.

Step 2: Click "iMovie and Final Cut Express-Apple InterMediate Codec(AIC)(*.mov)" as the best format for editing AVCHD MTS files in iMovie smoothly.

Tip: You can tap the "Browse" button on the main interface to choose the place where you want to save your converted file on your mac.

Step 3: You can click "settings" to customize the output video's parameters, adjust the video soze, audio/video bitrate as you want. PS: video size should be 1920*1080, video frame rate should be 30fps.

Tip: If the clips are recorded as 50fps(PAL), then 25 frame rate is the best choice for you.

Step 4: Click conversion button to start transcoding Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-HX200V 60p AVCHD to AIC. When the conversion is completed, you can get the final output files effortlessly.

Now, you can put and edit Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-HX200V footage in iMovie without any incompatible problem.

Related guides:
Ingest Sony HX200V AVCHD 1080p files to FCP by AVCHD to ProRes Conversion
Easy solution to editing Sony HDR-XR260V AVCHD in iMovie on Mac
Edit Sony HDR-XR350V AVCHD in iMovie & Export to iDVD for burning
Top MTS to iMovie Converter-Import Sony RX100 MTS to iMovie for editing on Mac
Convert DSC-HX9V 108060p AVCHD to 30p MOV for iMovie '11
jssqlisa
Developer
Developer

Return to Novice Tutorials