Protection for my apps

Basic Tutorials concerning: GUI, Views, Activites, XML, Layouts, Intents, ...

Protection for my apps

Postby Fatal1ty2787 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:36 pm

Hi all!
I'm new to this community, but I've being reading it since 3 weeks ago, while I decided to start developing my first android app...
So I started, and I'm almost done with the developing of a game, but now that I'm near the end, I'd like to protect my game from being copied (since I'm going to sell it on the market).
As far as I know the only tool that google provide us is the copy-protection option, but it seems to exclude some phone from viewing those applications.

What I was thinking to protect it is:

- A user buy the application
- I (as developer) get some checkout code right?
- let user login in a web service the first time it launch the apps, and register his IMEI, with the checkout code
- so, when it first install the application (like after an upgrade, or a reset), it checks if the IMEI match with the entry in my DB, if so the app starts, if not, the application is not authentic, and I can make it run like some sort of trial....

Does this make sense?

but how do I get the checkout code?
and is there anyway to set an hidden variable in the system, in the way I can perform the checking just the first time it launch it, and then don't need to use the connection everytime the app loads?

Thanks for the suggestions, and sorry for my bad English!
Fatal1ty2787
Freshman
Freshman

Postby Fatal1ty2787 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:25 am

No suggestion?

I read something that belongs to google checkout, to interact with the buying process...
It let you release a licence key, but then it'd be in users hands to get it (in the checkout panel) and it won't be done by the application itself!
Fatal1ty2787
Freshman
Freshman

Return to Novice Tutorials