Please help with multiplication

Basic Tutorials concerning: GUI, Views, Activites, XML, Layouts, Intents, ...

Please help with multiplication

Postby alfredkostenko » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:36 pm

Hello guys I started developing Android application (trying to) for last couple days. I am at a very beggiing stage and did some tutorials and made them work and somewhat understand the language. What I'm trying to do right now is build my own app from scratch. Im making a very simple multiplication app. But i can't seem to make it work right.

ok so here it goes. Im trying to make first text area to be multiplied by second text area and the result to show on a different layout page in text area. I got a button "calculate". By using some of the code from other tutorials i did, I managed to make it multiply but only with a radio button present to set it as multiplication :/ any suggestions? or tutorials that show how to making it multiply? Appreciate your help!
alfredkostenko
Freshman
Freshman

Re: Please help with multiplication

Postby alfredkostenko » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:21 pm

Hello again. I figured out how to do the multiplication and did a little advancement to deviding too within same button. But my results dont want to show in decimals. If lets say i devide 10/100 it just shows 0
alfredkostenko
Freshman
Freshman

Postby Shifty Geezer » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:24 am

You need to learn the fundamentals of programming and datatypes and lots and lots of stuff! I really recommend you grab a book and work your way through, as trying to work through coding an app when you haven't the basics is going to be a mammoth undertaking.

You'll need to turn your numbers into floating point numbers and somehow pass those as text to the boxse. I'm new to Droid so can't explain the specifics, but as I say, you need a whole lot more background knowledge before you can really tackle Android IMO.
Shifty Geezer
Freshman
Freshman

Postby nin2246 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:29 pm

A book I read is called "Hello Android" good book teaches 2D and 3D and some networking all being integrated together in a game. Great for starting off like I am.
nin2246
Developer
Developer

Return to Novice Tutorials