I'm Feeling Lucky

Basic Tutorials concerning: GUI, Views, Activites, XML, Layouts, Intents, ...

I'm Feeling Lucky

Postby Secant » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:13 am

Hi I'm new to the Android platform but I've been able to learn quite a bit already. There is one thing bugging me at the moment and I cannot seem to find an obvious answer without searching deeply through all of Google's code and I was wondering if somebody could help. I do apologize if this is the wrong place for this post, please move it if it is, but I figured it could be a good Novice tutorial.

Essentially what I have right now is an app with an edit box and a button that takes the string and uses an Intent and the SearchManager to launch the browser and search Google for the string. This is easy enough I found the code on some other forum. However, what I would like to do is to perform a search and only receive the first url Google's search shows. I tried just parsing the page source but Google's page is not that simple. I think what needs to be done is to some how get the search manager to start the search without launching the browser and many instead have a Cursor collect all the URLs or even just the first. Maybe a Cursor isn't what I need I just THINK.. it is, limited knowledge and all. Essentially I would like to make a button that mirrors the "I'm Feeling Lucky" button on Google. Hopefully there is just some function that does that. Even better would be in I could get the function to just return the URL and then later allow me to launch the page in my own custom WebView, for learnings sake.
Secant
Freshman
Freshman

Return to Novice Tutorials