How to take screen shot of your Google Nexus One

Basic Tutorials concerning: GUI, Views, Activites, XML, Layouts, Intents, ...

How to take screen shot of your Google Nexus One

Postby AndroidCodeMonkey » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:07 am

Currently, there are no applications available to take a screen capture of your Nexus One. This is a step by step guide to take a screen capture of your Nexus One.

Step 1: Install Java Platform (JDK 6 Update 18 )

* If you have not already installed JAVA follow the instructions in Step 2 of my blog post.

Step 2: Install the Android SDK Tools, Revision 4

* If you have not already installed the Android SDK follow the instructions in Step 3 and Step 4 of my blog post.

Step 3: Configure your Nexus one

* From your home screen (pictured below) press "Launcher" icon to view all applications.

* Start "Settings"

* Select "Applications"
* Select "Development"
* Check "USB debugging" if it's not already checked.

* Now that your Nexus One is ready, plug your phone into the computer via the USB cable. If your device drivers are not installed properly check my blog post here (How to Setup Android Development Environment).

Step 4: Launch the Dalvik Debug Monitor

* Go to your Android SDK folder > "Tools". On my system I placed the Android SDK here "C:Program Fileseclipseandroid-sdk-windows" so I will navigate to "C:Program Fileseclipseandroid-sdk-windowstools"

* Double click on "ddms.bat" to launch the Dalvik Debug Monitor.

NOTE: IF IT FAILS TO LOAD and the window just closes immediately, you might have to update your system Environment path for JAVA.

* If it did not launch go to "Control Panel > System > Advanced system settings"
* Press "Environment Variables..."

* Select "Path"
* Press "Edit..."

* Add the path the path to JAVA (;C:Program FilesJavajdk1.6.0_17bin) to the end of the "variable value"

* Press OK and save your changes.
* Continue by double clicking on "ddms.bat" to launch the Dalvik Debug Monitor in the "tools" directory.
* The application will launch and your phone will be listed.

* Select "Device > Screen capture..."

* The capture appears.

* Now you can copy and paste the screen capture into a photo application or save a copy.

I have screen captures and the complete tutorial on my Blog here http://androidcodemonkey.blogspot.com.
AndroidCodeMonkey
Freshman
Freshman

Return to Novice Tutorials