How to approach a reference book type of app?

Basic Tutorials concerning: GUI, Views, Activites, XML, Layouts, Intents, ...

How to approach a reference book type of app?

Postby calebrogers » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:51 pm

I did some searching, and didn't really find anything directly related to this app idea I've got. This is probably pretty simple to build, but I don't know what the best approach would be.

I'm thinking of creating an app that is a reference book. I haven't figured out the specifics yet, as far as user navigation, bookmarking, etc. My main concern is how to get the content into the app.

I have a pdf and a word version of a reference book that I am wanting to wrap up in an android app (yes, I have rights to do this...). My first thought was to just call a pdf reader type api, but I didn't find one. Then I thought that I could have a document as an asset, and then load it into a textview. But then how would I format it with line breaks and headings and such? My other thought was to use the web view and just format it as a series of html documents stored as assets, but when I looked, it seems that's not really how the web view is utilized. I could be wrong about that, but it seems the web view is just for going out and getting content from the web.

So I have a few approaches that have come to mind, but I don't know if one is better than the other, or what problems there might be with them. Has anyone done anything similar to this? I've seen a few of this type of app in the marketplace, but I'm just not sure how to do it myself.

I suppose I could just hard-code all of the content into xml text resources...but that could bring up another set of problems...

Thanks,

Caleb
calebrogers
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby calebrogers » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:18 pm

I guess I should have put this in the view, layout, and resources section...mods, feel free to move it.

I'm still looking for a solution for this. Does anyone have any ideas, or some direction to which you could point me?

Thanks,

Caleb
calebrogers
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Return to Novice Tutorials