The Windows Tablets are more and more popular, according to report, the Microsoft Surface RT has won many people's hearts with its Simple and Easy interface and powerful operating system. If you have got one, you may find it supports a lot of formats, like AVI, MOV, WMV, MP4, M4V, ect. So it is a top movie player. It is a pity that, many MKV movie lovers find it can't recognise MKV file at any size. "Pretty sure Microsoft Surface RT can play MP4s. Can't play MKVs out the box. Really disappointing as my HTPC has everything encoded as MKV. So, someone try it out and let us know.
The reason you cannot get MKV videos working on Microsoft Surface is simple: MKV is a container which contains media streams(subtitles, audio, video, chapters), so, it’ a bit hard for the default and downloaded player like Xbox Video on the Microsoft Surface RT tablet to handle the format. As far as I know, there's not a Surface RT player for playing MKV files. Then how to meet the MKV lvoers' requirement?
From Googling, yo will find the great method is to transcode MKV to Surface's a compatible video format along with some help from third-party tools on your computer. I am using the MKV to Windows Surface RT Converter
, the easy-to-use converter from Brorsoft. With it, I have easily changed MKV to the natively supported video e.g. MP4 for viewing on my RT anytime and anywhere. It just cost you a short time for the conversion. If you folow the bellow steps, you will get the great HD quality as you want for playback.
Step 1: Go to download and install the top Surface RT MKV Converter; run the program to import your MKV files to it.
Step 2: Tap the Format icon and from its dropdown menu, click and select Windows > Microsoft Surface Windows RT H.264 Video (*.mp4) as the best video format for Microsoft Surface RT.
Step 3: Click the Convert icon to start converting 1080p/720p MKV to Windows Surface RT
MP4 video at fast speed with the CUDA/AMD acceleration technology support.
After the conversion, hit on “Open” to find converted files and transfer videos to Surface RT.MKV to Surface RT Conversion Tips:
1. You can join several MKV files for Surface RT via checking the “Merge into one” box.
2. Click the Settings icon, you can go to the Profile Settings icon to adjust the video, audio parameter settings like video size, video bitrate, frame rate, audio channel, etc according your needs.
3. If you have a large MKV files and wanna split the video to several small parts, tap the Video Split icon on the main interface to make it.
4. To trim, crop and add special effects to your videos, just click the Edit button.
5. Other than converting MKV to Microsoft Surface RT, this MKV to Surface RT converter can also convert TiVo, MPG, MOD, FLV, VOB, AVI, etc to Microsoft Surface RT optimized MP4 video as well. To rip a DVD movie and even 1080p full HD Blu-ray discs for Surface RT, you can try this all-in-one package tool Blu-ray Video Converter Ultimate
Related guides:Microsoft Surface RT vs. Surface Pro – Get Surface RT Video Playback TipsTransfer videos, music, pictures to Microsoft Surface from PCFast way enable AVI movie playable on Microsoft Surface with full screenPlay 1080p videos (.mkv, .mts, .m2ts) on Microsoft Surface smoothlyWhat video formats can Microsoft Surface RT play?- Add video files to Surface RT