Data Storage?

Basic Tutorials concerning: GUI, Views, Activites, XML, Layouts, Intents, ...

Data Storage?

Postby Johnb » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:45 pm

I Did the Notepad tutorial on the developer site, but something tells me that data storage and using SQLite isn't that difficult. Is there anyone else with a helpful tutorial on data storage whether it be database or XML files.

Thanks.
Johnb
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Re: Data Storage?

Postby Johnb » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:04 pm

Does anyone ever reply to anything on here? I dont think i have ever been helped one time on here since i joined, not to mention how inviting Android makes their information :roll: . Also, it seems like every single tutorial out there, you get halfway through the thing and... what's this.. there is an error? Even though i typed it up the exact way it said to do. How am i supposed to learn this stuff when obviously the secret society of the Androiders is keeping everyone hush hush about it? I spend literally 12+ hours on Eclipse every day staring at nothing... just because I cant get a hand from anyone. All i want is simple advice on how to use a database to store information. Now i am sure i will get someone using terms i dont understand or telling me to use Google. "yeah like i haven't tried"

Also, The Admins tutorials on here all look super cool... but all are super duds... just like every other tutorial. They all give me build errors. Im not a programming N00b, I have experience in Visual Basic and C# but obviously Java is a whole other story but... if someone can take the time out of their busy day and help me it would be great. Again, I have been a member here and have been asking questions and never been helped one time.
Johnb
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby agnimitra » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:03 am

I too need to know basics of data storage in SQLite....
agnimitra
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby orhanc1 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:22 pm

Johnb wrote:Does anyone ever reply to anything on here?

Actually, yes they do. My first question was answered and the fella was very helpful. Maybe your bad luck?

Johnb wrote:Also, it seems like every single tutorial out there, you get halfway through the thing and... what's this.. there is an error? Even though i typed it up the exact way it said to do.

Personally, I don't like copy/pasting source code and then looking in the mirror thinking about how cool I am for getting the program to work. Just use it as a reference to get a job done or to learn something new.

Johnb wrote:I spend literally 12+ hours on Eclipse every day staring at nothing... just because I cant get a hand from anyone.

Dude. What does that say about your time management skills!? If (as stated later) you don't know about Java, why are you jumping into the deep end of thing?

Johnb wrote:All i want is simple advice on how to use a database to store information. Now i am sure i will get someone using terms i dont understand or telling me to use Google. "yeah like i haven't tried"

http://developer.android.com/guide/topi ... ge.html#db
Google ftw

Johnb wrote:Also, The Admins tutorials on here all look super cool... but all are super duds... just like every other tutorial.

What's a super dud? Sounds like a complement.

Johnb wrote:Im not a programming N00b, I have experience in Visual Basic and C#

Oxymoron anyone? Lol, joke! I started with VB and C and C++ too :P
Like I said before, learn Java, dude! You really do need it if you're actually gonna write in Java...

Johnb wrote:Java is a whole other story but... if someone can take the time out of their busy day and help me it would be great.

One more time, Java shouldn't be an alien to you if you're planning on writing apps with Java! Also, MANY people have taken countless hours of their time for tutorials. If that wasn't the case, we would all be in your shoes (and that would be uncomfortable indeed!).

What I'm trying to say is this; don't get frustrated at us. I mean, if you did ask 10 questions and didn't get answers, I'm really sorry and that is piss poor luck but keep looking.

Good luck.

P.s DON'T STAY 12 HOURS IN FRONT OF THE MONITOR LOOKING AT ECLIPSE! :lol:
orhanc1
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby limteckchai » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:57 am

@gree at upstairs ^

But sometimes i dun exactly like the responses rate of this forum, we need more members !!!
limteckchai
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby orhanc1 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:05 am

Yeah, I know what you mean. It seems really inconsistent. Some posts get thousands of views and other get a handful. But considering how much I actually got done via this forum, I dunno, I guess I have no right to complain.
orhanc1
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby blundell » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:24 am

Look how constructive and helpful I am http://lmgtfy.com/?q=cry+more :-D :-D
blundell
Master Developer
Master Developer

Postby Johan Degraeve » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:52 am

It's true that a lot of questions remain unanswered, on the other hand when looking at questions, many people seem to start developing Android without having gone through the basics. Sometimes when reading questions I just know the answer but I also know it's been answered already many times on this forum so I don't answer.

I started by reading a book : http://www.manning.com/ableson/
Which was very helpful even though Google can find anything for me (my experience when learning J2ME was totally different, I could find sufficient good tutorials on the net).

For sqlite , have you tried this thread : working_with_the_sqlite-database_-_cursors-t319.html ?
regards,

Johan
Johan Degraeve
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby orhanc1 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:32 pm

blundell wrote:Look how constructive and helpful I am http://lmgtfy.com/?q=cry+more :-D :-D

Lol! The funny thing is, when you answered my first question, I was like "This man seems like the nurturing type." :lol:
Don't fool people like that!!

Johan Degraeve wrote:It's true that a lot of questions remain unanswered, on the other hand when looking at questions, many people seem to start developing Android without having gone through the basics. Sometimes when reading questions I just know the answer but I also know it's been answered already many times on this forum so I don't answer.

I started by reading a book : http://www.manning.com/ableson/
Which was very helpful even though Google can find anything for me (my experience when learning J2ME was totally different, I could find sufficient good tutorials on the net).

For sqlite , have you tried this thread : working_with_the_sqlite-database_-_cursors-t319.html ?

That link is quite useful for me too. I haven't gone into SQLite but will do. 1/5!! Very happy to see that :D

EDIT:
Also. It's kinda ironic how many replies this got :P
orhanc1
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Return to Novice Tutorials