Can't install Dev Kit, at the end of my tether

Basic Tutorials concerning: GUI, Views, Activites, XML, Layouts, Intents, ...

Can't install Dev Kit, at the end of my tether

Postby Subjective Effect » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:30 pm

I'm so annoyed by this I'm this close to packing in the whole idea of doing any Android development. I don't think I've been this frustrated by something that should be so simple in the last 5 years.

I cannot install the SDK.

My background: I've done PHP/Apache/mySQL/SQL (Oracle)/JavaScript/HTML/CSS stuff for years, and I've had to install different development environments for this, as well as manual installs of PHP and mySQL. I'm not a total noob in other wordsl

I've been to the official site: http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

but tbh its not clear. At all.

Which do I install first, and from where? There are several steps but I'm even stumped on Step 0 (zero, lol). You're supposed to have Eclipse, right? Well I installed it (the recommended Eclipse IDE for Java EE Developers) and JDK 6 but I can't even add ADT because Eclipse wont start.

It tells me it needs some java component that isn't in folder x. Well there IS NO folder x in the Eclipse directory.

Soooo...

I installed a different version of Eclipse (Eclipse IDE for Java Developers) which seemed ok. I was able to add ADT.

Now here is one of the problems. In the guide adding ADT is in step 0, but then when you go back its step 2 - AFTER installing the SDK starter package. So I thought this might be ok.

I then went to the Hello World tutorial and after entering "android create avd --target 2 --name my_avd" at the cmd prompt (whilst in the tools directory) I get another Java error.

ffs, do they actually want people developing for this? On top of the install documentation being confusing, having to DL and install several different applications without much guide as to where to install them (Program Files? who knows?) I finally get it working (or so it seems) and then bang its messed up before I've even started.

What makes it triply frustrating is that just before this machine got a new HD and OS I had managed to get it working straight away. Now the instructions seem a little different and its ruining my experience of Android development before I've started. I've been at this for hours.

All I need is a simple and straightforward guide to installing the Dev Kit. Can anyone help?
Subjective Effect
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby waynesilver » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:32 pm

I feel your pain. Never have I felt so frustrated with an install as when I did this Android stuff. They make it sound like any 6yr old can do it in their sleep.

It took me several tries at this, and I finally got it right. I started by deleting eclipse, renaming the old workspace: completely starting over.

The instructions from Sun, to install Eclipse are pretty good. I installed the Eclipse Classic at the bottom of the page.
Once that was installed I installed the JDK by following the "JDK 5 or JDK 6" link from the Systems Requirements instruction page (supported environments section). Once the zip file downloaded, I unzipped it to the eclipse directory, created when I installed eclipse. It doesn't really matter where you unzip it, but I wanted it all under one folder, in case I wanted to pull the plug on the whole thing again and start over.

I then ran the exe file and followed the directions.

The next thing I did was install the Android ADT and that was where I had some trouble. I unzipped the folder in my eclipse folder, and followed the directions for the Eclipse Galileo. After restarting Eclipse, I was able to see the Android stuff. I looked for updates at this point, and waited again for a restart.

The next step gave me no end of problems, which was creating an emulator. I opened up the AVD manager from Eclipse and installed/updated everything. This let me create emulators for development and I was complete that task.

Hopefully this will help you. and more importantly, I am not leading you astray.
waynesilver
Developer
Developer

Postby Subjective Effect » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:34 am

Where are the Sun instructions on how to install Eclipse. I've also DLed the Classic version at the bottom of the page but I get the same error. There must be something I'm doing wrong but I don't know what.
Subjective Effect
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

recommendation

Postby gulrich » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:55 am

Subjective Effect wrote:Where are the Sun instructions on how to install Eclipse. I've also DLed the Classic version at the bottom of the page but I get the same error. There must be something I'm doing wrong but I don't know what.

I've had to install three times die to hard drive failures. I really recommend something like a howto for your os. I have used a couple of different ones and they always get me up and running quick. How would I know not just to install eclipse from the ubuntu package manager? It makes it easy.
gulrich
Freshman
Freshman

Postby Subjective Effect » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:53 pm

I'm looking for "how tos" but I can't find anything that makes any sense. They say if I get the error I get then the JDK isn't installed properly but don't say how to do this. I've installed and re-installed the JDK.

Same thing happens :(

This is the error I get every time.

How do I fix this?
Subjective Effect
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Return to Novice Tutorials