Can't bring AVCHD from Sony GW77V to FCP 5/6/7?

Basic Tutorials concerning: GUI, Views, Activites, XML, Layouts, Intents, ...

Can't bring AVCHD from Sony GW77V to FCP 5/6/7?

Postby jssqlisa » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:27 am

Summary: Tips for importing and editing Sony HDR-GW77V AVCHD files to Final Cut Pro 5/6/7

I like shooting videos when I go swimming with my friends. The Sony GW77V will be many people's choice. The video format from GW77 is .mts/m2ts in AVCHD codec. I often edit the videos with FCP 7 for sharing with my family and friends. It is a pity that I can't link the camcorder to Mac for bring files to Final Cut Pro 5/6/7 for editing sometimes with Log and Transfer. From googling, I found AVCHD is not a good codec for editing with FCP because it is adopted with MPEG4-AVC/H.264 AVC. These codecs are not good editing formats, they need a super powerful system to support them well. So I started to look for a easy way to make Sony GW77 AVCHD editble for FCP all the time without any trouble. Finally I found the best way to transcode AVCHD to ProRes before importing to FCP.

My friend told me that I should purchase a powerful AVCHD Converter on my Mac computer. I read about Brorsoft AVCHD to ProRes Converter in a forum. And I tried to use it to convert AVCHD to ProRes. I found the software converted faster than the others programs, with more options, and FCP 7 didn't showed any message. So I think that MTS Converter is a great solution for people who has sony's (or AVCHD format) handycams. If you also have met the similiar trouble about AVCHD to FCP importing, you can download the free trial and follow the easy 3 steps to have a try.

Step 1. Install and run the MTS/M2TS Converter on Mac and import 60p or 50p files from GW77 into it.

Step 2. Choose Final Cut Pro > Apple ProRes 422 (*.mov) as output format.

Tips:
1) If you want edit in FCP with best quality, you'd better select Apple ProRes 422(HQ)(*.mov).
2) If you want to a smaller file, you need to choose Apple ProRes 422(LT)(*.mov).

Step 3. You can set video resolution(1920×1080/1440×1080/1280×720/720×480), bitrate(from 1Mbps to 20Mbps), frame rate (24p/25p/30p) freely. Get highest setting as the below picture.

Step 4. [url]Converting GW77 H.264 AVCHD to ProRes[/url] via clicking "Convert" button.

Now, you can smoothly get the converted Sony HDR-GW77 1080p recordings to FCP for freely editing without any trouble on Mac OS X.
jssqlisa
Developer
Developer

Return to Novice Tutorials