Advice and a few questions for someone just starting out..

Basic Tutorials concerning: GUI, Views, Activites, XML, Layouts, Intents, ...

Advice and a few questions for someone just starting out..

Postby CoolhandLocke » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:02 am

Hi all, new to programming, but not to Android. I'm actually a game reviewer for an Android site, and lately I've been thinking about doing my own app. I checked into having one done, but the prices I was quoted ($5,000+) were way to steep for my lowly budget. I had also thought about working with someone on a few joint projects, as I can promote the hell out of anything, but I've found out the hard way it's difficult to trust people with your ideas.

As a reviewer I couldn't tell you how many games I see a week, or how many requests I get to check things out. I've seen a lot of great games from small developers get swamped in the market by...well, crap games. I've seen even more quality games get abandoned by dev's, and fall to the wayside much to the dismay of the people who really love the game. I deal with Dev's daily, and know how difficult it can be to get a game produced and once it's done, you still have to get folks to buy it or try it.

I've been kicking around the idea of learning to program for a while now, and finally decided to give it a go in my spare time. There are some very nice tutorials on-site, and as a total beginner I'm sure I'll be checking some of those out soon. I do have a few questions though..

Are there any online schools or programs that specialize in Android development for new guys like me who have little to no experience with programming?

If there aren't (there should be) what language would I need to start with, or what path would I need to proceed on in order to get to where I can make my own application?

I've seen a few "online packs" out there that teach android, but the reviews of those scarce and most are garbage "fluff" reviews. I thought maybe I missed an actual good program someone might be offering, as I've just recently started checking into it. I know it won't be easy, and I'm planning on learning in my spare time, but am pretty darn committed to seeing it work. If you want something done right, sometimes you have to learn to do it yourself...

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Like I said, I've talked to a few folks in the past, but they've either dug until I gave them a few of my ideas and vanish, or they are more interested in a quick buck from a crappy app.
CoolhandLocke
Freshman
Freshman

Re: Advice and a few questions for someone just starting out

Postby sleepytown » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:57 am

I may not be the perfect person to give advice, because I am only a couple months removed from where you are. However, if you are totally new to this, the first thing you need to do is learn some java. Although there are exceptions, by and large, java is the language that you will be dealing with. Start there, and the rest will follow. After that, you can start think about getting to know the quirks and specifics of java for android. After you learn some java, I recommend Beginning Android Application development by Wei Meng Lee (a great book on android development) It has treated me well, but you would be lost without a foundation of Java (or at lease some object oriented programming). I hope this helped. Good luck!
sleepytown
Once Poster
Once Poster

Return to Novice Tutorials