Phoload - Not-charging Appstore

Supervised News & Rumors concerning the Google Android Platform.

Phoload - Not-charging Appstore

Postby plusminus » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:01 pm

[This post was not created by me, but in my opinion it is valueable for the news-section]
:cut: :cut: :cut: :cut: :cut: :cut: :cut: :cut: :cut: :cut: :cut: :cut: :cut: :cut: :cut: :cut:

Hello everyone,

We would like to invite developers to upload their Android software to Phoload (http://www.phoload.com). Phoload is a new free mobile software download website that launched last month.

Initially, Phoload only supported Java ME software, but we have added Android support and will launch the Android content on the site shortly. We are very enthusiastic about the Android platform, so we will be heavily featuring Android content on the site.

Developers can upload freeware, demo/trial and ad-supported software. Developers uploading their software will receive pages showcasing their products on the site, regular download reports, and feedback from the user community.

We only offer software that the end user can download for free. As well as free full versions, we accept ad-supported software and demo/trial versions too. Developers who are selling their apps on other sites can upload demo or trial software, which can be associated with a purchase link to an external website. So, as Phoload is not selling any software itself, it is free to use for both the end-user and developer.

Please take a look at the Phoload, and if you would like to submit your software, you can do so by visiting: http://www.phoload.com/developer

Thanks for listening,

Jamie McDonald

:cut: :cut: :cut: :cut: :cut: :cut: :cut: :cut: :cut: :cut: :cut: :cut: :cut: :cut: :cut: :cut:
Image | Android Development Community / Tutorials
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MrSnowflake » Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:14 pm

They already send me a mail, but I don't really see the advantage in such a store. For free apps, I believe Market is THE store and I'm not very happy about having a lot of stores (1 store will be better for the rating :) ), but Market charges to much for the operators. So SlideMe is my favorite.
MrSnowflake

Postby Jamie » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:06 pm

Hi, Jamie from Phoload here. I think that there will be a place for other app stores, free as well as charging, in addition to the Android market.

Many developers we have spoken to are very happy to showcase their apps on different sites, such as Phoload. This is especially true given that, at the moment, the Android market does not have a proper consumer web front (thought I assume one will arrive at some point). In the long run, once there is a lot of content on the Android market, there is always a chance that some good content gets buried. So other sites can be useful in highlighting/promoting content that many may have missed.

On a different note, for developers who have created an app for multiple platforms (e.g. supporting Android, J2ME, Symbian etc.), it is good to have a site such as Phoload which can be a single point around which users of all different phone types can download and discuss the app.

One the whole though, choosing the number of sites to list an app on, is of course a balance of the publicity and number of downloads received, against the time and effort required to list the app.
Jamie
Freshman
Freshman

Postby pjv » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:59 am

@Jamie I share your views allthough I hope there will be a mutual benefit for developers and app content offerers. I do hope eventually the diversity will narrow down a bit into two or three good sites. Also you should look around for apps yourself too.

@ MrSnowflake We need a central point to collect voluntary-written open-source apps (for people who don't want to pay $25 to the access to the market) with a good reviewing process to sift out the bad from the good.
pjv
Developer
Developer

Postby MrSnowflake » Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:49 pm

pjv wrote:@ MrSnowflake We need a central point to collect voluntary-written open-source apps (for people who don't want to pay $25 to the access to the market) with a good reviewing process to sift out the bad from the good.
That's true indeed and Jamie's point about having 1 site for 1 program on multiple devices is also valid.
MrSnowflake

Return to News & Rumors