Inconceivable 1788 (!) Submission for the first ADC

Supervised News & Rumors concerning the Google Android Platform.

Inconceivable 1788 (!) Submission for the first ADC

Postby plusminus » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:35 pm

Hello Community,

the official numbers for the first ADC are out :!:
:arrow:
Azhar Hashem, Product Marketing Manager for Android wrote:I'm thrilled to share the news that developers from over 70 countries submitted 1,788 entries to the Android Developer Challenge!

Here are a few facts that I thought were interesting. When we announced the Android Developer Challenge back in January, developers started submitting entries right away but it wasn't until the April 14 deadline approached that the flood really began. The rate of submissions spiked in the wee hours of Tuesday morning, reaching as high as 170+ submissions per hour.

What I find truly amazing is how global the interest in the challenge has been. Developers from the United States submitted one-third of the total applications while the rest came from countries such as Germany, Japan, China, India, Canada, France, UK, and many others. The entries are also very diverse representing many application areas, from games to social-networking applications, to utilities, to productivity and developer tools, and many more. On behalf of the Open Handset Alliance, I want to thank everyone who has submitted entries to the challenge. We look forward to reviewing all of them.

Now that the applications are in, over 100 judges will soon receive judging packets and laptops that we've preloaded with all the submissions, for a consistent, fair environment to judge the submissions. The majority of the judges are from member companies of the Open Handset Alliance, in addition to non-alliance mobile industry experts who have all graciously volunteered their time. I'd like to thank these judges too for all the time they will be putting into this.

In May, we'll be informing the 50 Semi-finalists who will be awarded $25,000 each. Until then, the team and I will have our hands full.

Good luck anyway :)

/plusminus for anddev.org
Image | Android Development Community / Tutorials
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Steel » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:53 pm

I'm thrilled to share the news that developers from over 70 countries submitted 1,788 entries to the Android Developer Challenge!

I wonder ... often these marketing guys pump up the numbers to make an impression. I wonder if there are 1,788 unique entries or if that number is including the resubmissions?
Steel
Developer
Developer

Postby Yuppi » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:54 pm

I think that those are unique applications. While a single submission can contain multiple applications. Other than that: WOW. I am so lost ;)
Yuppi
Freshman
Freshman

Postby jsharkey » Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:59 am

The number is de-duplicated, unique submissions, and does not include a
handful that were disqualified according to the rules in the Terms &
Conditions. (The apps that were disqualified were ones that were submitted
with obviously copyrighted material such as music files or ROMs, so don't
worry that we were disqualifying people on technicalities.)

thats from Dan Morrill over at google

http://groups.google.com/group/android- ... 9bb61b9895
jsharkey
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby Hielko » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:44 pm

I think that a lot of those 1788 applications are very basic/nothing more then an interface mockup. The number of non-trivial apps is probably (I hope!) a lot lower.
Hielko
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby com2usprav » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:35 am

I think the Top 50 Application are the ones will not be just a MOCK UP . Instead i think it will be a Complete Application . Any way lets see the Top 5 Application on 5 Th May

Cheers
Pravin Kumar
com2usprav
Developer
Developer

Postby plusminus » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:01 am

com2usprav wrote:I think the Top 50 Application are the ones will not be just a MOCK UP . Instead i think it will be a Complete Application . Any way lets see the Top 5 Application on 5 Th May

OMG, thats just one week left...

:arrow: *excited*
Image | Android Development Community / Tutorials
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Steel » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:13 am

Yep, I think a juror was testing my app yesterday. Got some server requests with american barcodes (UPC-E & UPC-A).
Steel
Developer
Developer

Return to News & Rumors