Google selling unlocked T-Mobile G1 as Android Dev 1

Supervised News & Rumors concerning the Google Android Platform.

Google selling unlocked T-Mobile G1 as Android Dev 1

Postby plusminus » Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:00 pm

Hello Community,

Developers and other interested parties located outside of the USA and UK can now get their hands on what is, effectively, an unlocked T-Mobile G1 - direct from Google. Google is now selling what it calls the Android Dev 1, an HTC Dream based device that has neither SIM lock nor bootloader lock, which means that not only can it be used with any SIM card, but it can be used with custom builds of the Android OS as well.

The device is available to registered Google Android Developers for US$399, the same price that the T-Mobile G1 is supposed to be available for without a contract. Becoming an official Android developer costs $25 but it otherwise open to all.

The phone itself can be ordered by people in the following countries: USA, UK, Germany, Japan, India, Canada, France, Taiwan, Spain, Australia, Singapore, Switzerland, Netherlands, Austria, Sweden, Finland, Poland, and Hungary. Its features the exact same specs as the T-Mobile G1, but has a received some new graphics on its rear cover. [via AndroidAuthority.com]

/plusminus for anddev.org
Image | Android Development Community / Tutorials
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pjv » Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:34 pm

Plusminus, can you share any more information that might be concealed behind the gates of the Market for those who haven't payed up the $25 yet?

Can you see any reason why only some European countries are listed currently? One would expect (especially if it's an unlocked phone) it to become available in all European countries (there even is an import law that enforces this I believe, also there is a lot of buying across the open borders). Does one need to provide an address and is that address being checked for country?

The only reason I can think of for this restriction would be that the device currently only works on the networks in these countries due to which frequency bands are available, in particular the 2100MHz band.

Any information as to what is not present in the dev phone that is currently present in the G1? Possible suggestions:
- T-Mobile apps (that pink thing about the friends), (push) GMail app
- box (packaging), headphone and headphone adapter
- automatic updates, and therefore no way to migrate your data (so only usable for testing, but not as a real life counterpart as well)?
- sdcard
- no possibility of localization like future retail versions
- support, but what exactly? wouldn't HTC need to provide 1y warranty, at least in Europe?
- color options (white). What's the color now, brown/gray or black?

How about shipping costs and other costs per country? Any timeframe as to possible delivery?

Just all the questions I had left ;-), thx.
Last edited by pjv on Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pjv
Developer
Developer

Postby kaobiore » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:31 pm

Hi!

Ah ... come on ... they want 190 us$ for shipping to europe (austria)! :twisted:

At the end the device will cost me around 600 euro including shipping and taxes. :( :( :( :(

Too expensive for me! :?

regards
-=k=-
kaobiore
Freshman
Freshman

Postby MrSnowflake » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:44 pm

What? 190!! That's just thievery (if that's a word). A plane ticket is almost cheaper (well, atleast to the UK :)).

PlusMinus (or any other registrated Google Market developer): Could you copy past the whole page about this Dev 1 please?!
MrSnowflake

Postby kaobiore » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:21 pm

Shipping costs (international):

Canada $ 264.49
UK $ 171.53
Hungary $ 199.99
Austria $ 189.99
Germany $ 178.90
France $ 183.81
Spain $ 170.14
Poland $ 210.09
Switzerland $ 130.43
Netherlands $ 172.99
Sweden $ 214.81
Finland $ 199.92
India $ 224.60
Japan $ 109.55
Taiwan $ 156.66
Australia $ 140.23
Singapore $ 119.36

:( :( :(

Regards
-=k=-
kaobiore
Freshman
Freshman

Postby pjv » Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:17 pm

Thanks for the info. It's a start.
pjv
Developer
Developer

Postby MrSnowflake » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:19 pm

And a big ripoff.
MrSnowflake

Postby pjv » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:30 pm

Exactly, as is using the 25$ signup to just get access to this information.
pjv
Developer
Developer

Postby szabi » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:02 pm

The shipping costs may be this big because of a certain tax (no idea what's it called in english... toll tax, vat maybe), that has to be payed when you import electronics. I have received some phones (for testing), and I always had to pay this tax, which is sometimes almost 30% of the value of the device. I'm not sure if this applies to the whole of the European Union, but it does for Romania.

Otherwise, paying 200 bucks for transport for a small box would be a joke...
szabi
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby MrSnowflake » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:34 pm

If that's the case, the shipping price is pretty reasonable I guess.
Still normally, customs charges you with that (if you have bad luck).

And then even, why don't they ship from the EU, they have a lot of Google centers here in Germany, UK, ... That would cost al LOT less.

Well, maybe they have someone sit in a rowing boat to row with your device to the EU. That would also explain a lot :D
MrSnowflake

Postby szabi » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:10 pm

MrSnowflake wrote:If that's the case, the shipping price is pretty reasonable I guess.

And then even, why don't they ship from the EU, they have a lot of Google centers here in Germany, UK, ... That would cost al LOT less.

Well, maybe they have someone sit in a rowing boat to row with your device to the EU. That would also explain a lot :D

I was thinking of customs, thanks.
szabi
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby strongsauce » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:09 pm

Still no support for 3G on AT&T.
strongsauce
Freshman
Freshman

Postby beausejour » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:15 pm

szabi wrote:
MrSnowflake wrote:If that's the case, the shipping price is pretty reasonable I guess.

I was thinking of customs, thanks.

Totally agree, waiting for the review of this device.
beausejour
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby kaobiore » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:38 pm

Uh ... I guess I was wrong regarding the shipping costs!

Found this on the android-market help-page:

Outside the US
For Orders shipping outside the US, shipping pricing includes cost of shipping service and the applicable customs, duties, import and country specific other fees.

So, it looks like that taxes and import duties are included in the shipping-price.

regards
-=k=-
kaobiore
Freshman
Freshman

Postby beausejour » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:45 pm

kaobiore wrote:Uh ... I guess I was wrong regarding the shipping costs!

Found this on the android-market help-page:

Outside the US
For Orders shipping outside the US, shipping pricing includes cost of shipping service and the applicable customs, duties, import and country specific other fees.

So, it looks like that taxes and import duties are included in the shipping-price.

regards
-=k=-

Thanks for sharing.
beausejour
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Next

Return to News & Rumors