Google selling unlocked T-Mobile G1 as Android Dev 1

Supervised News & Rumors concerning the Google Android Platform.

Postby mortefer » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:30 pm

Got mine a couple of days ago, still playing with, but seems perfect :)

ErnestoGuevara wrote:Just a side note... I've had my dev phone for about a month now. The best part is the quirky art on the back - all my geeky friends are jealous.

Totally agree :D
mortefer
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby codethief » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:29 pm

Just my two cents concerning the shipping fees:
As for the European Union, there is absolutely no tax on mobile phones and similar electronical gadgets. The only thing that might add up to the $399 is the VAT for imports which depends on the country you're importing to (e.g. 19% for Germany). And according to a collegue of my mother who's worked for the customs, the VAT free amount is about 450€ (not 150€).

So where do these high shipping fees actually come from?
codethief
Freshman
Freshman

Postby Babau » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:47 am

len wrote:
How much did the entire mobile+shipment+etc cost?
How long did you wait for the shipment to arrive?

The exchange rates will be different now, but the actual AUD taken off my credit card was $854.77, then about $40 for the market registration.

Shipment took a little over a week.
Babau
Freshman
Freshman

Postby torpor » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:54 pm

Got mine today .. it only took two days to ship to me from when I ordered it (I'm in Austria, Europe) ..

First impressions: its nice! I will probably use it as my main phone, since my iPhone and Freerunner are pretty much all in "full-blown hacker mode" and not really something I can rely on - whereas, since the G1 is so well integrated with the SDK, I probably won't be hacking so much as just writing clean apps, so it seems like it'll be a shoe-in as my main phone replacement.

Sure would be nice if someone would tell me how I can get the 'latest' updates on there reliably, though .. from what I've read so far, us Dev G1 owners are a bit of a nuisance to Google, so we're going to have to do a lot of updates by hand? Hope it gets easy, anyway ..
torpor
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby mobileguru » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:24 am

If you don't want to fork out $400 for a developer phone, you can get one used on craigslist for under $200.
that's just what I did. :D
mobileguru
Freshman
Freshman

Previous

Return to News & Rumors