Google selling unlocked T-Mobile G1 as Android Dev 1

Supervised News & Rumors concerning the Google Android Platform.

Postby pjv » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:07 pm

bit wrote:
pjv wrote:Can't you do that via wifi?
No, I can't get to the screen to configure wireless until I get past registration.

Picked this up from the chatroom today coïncidentally (honours go to JesusFreke):
Do an "adb shell" and then "am start -a android.intent.action.MAIN -n com.android.settings/.Settings" to get the settings window, then you can change your wifi. Haven't tried it myself though.
pjv
Developer
Developer

Postby beausejour » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:19 am

pjv wrote:
bit wrote:
pjv wrote:Can't you do that via wifi?
No, I can't get to the screen to configure wireless until I get past registration.

Picked this up from the chatroom today coïncidentally (honours go to JesusFreke):
Do an "adb shell" and then "am start -a android.intent.action.MAIN -n com.android.settings/.Settings" to get the settings window, then you can change your wifi. Haven't tried it myself though.

How to execute a command on G1?
beausejour
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby yorgosg » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:06 pm

It is already asked by someone lιving in Guadeloupe. I live in Greece, Google aren't sending the phone here either. Does anyone know when more countries will be available?

Cheers
Last edited by yorgosg on Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yorgosg
Developer
Developer

Postby pjv » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:23 pm

Not sure, but there might be two ways:
- Hook it up via USB, pray the USB-link security isn't on by default, install the emulator on your computer and use the adb tool that is included. AFAIK the ADP1 can be recognized by adb as a physical "emulator" device, in the same way the emulators are.
- On your ADP1 get console access. Don't know how that's done since the keyboard-to-console duplication/logging bug has been solved. Via the bootloader or some key combination? Then you can use the second command to summon the Settings app too.

You should be able to find this info on the net somewhere (here for instance), and you should have a much easier job at making sense of it than me since you have a device ;-).

Sorry for the off-topic.

beausejour wrote:
pjv wrote:
bit wrote:[quote="pjv"]Can't you do that via wifi?

How to execute a command on G1?[/quote]
pjv
Developer
Developer

Postby Babau » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:48 am

I'm posting this from my G1 dev phone, arrived today. It's great, activated fine and connected to Three here in Aus.

Tip for future users, it only has T-Mobile APNs configured, however it doesn't prompt you to enter your own carrier's settings before trying to register itself. Hittitng menu on the screen will take you to a list of the APNs the phone knows about, then hitting menu again will let you add a new one.

Also, one reason the shipping is so much is that Brightstar sends the phone in a freaking enormous box for no apparent reason. It's not even filled with packing material, only three inflatable pads hiding in the corner.

The design on the back is really nice in real life, though.
Babau
Freshman
Freshman

Postby Babau » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:08 am

Also, you get a hands free kit in the box, but no headphone adaptor :|
Babau
Freshman
Freshman

Postby Sparkletron » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:07 pm

pjv wrote:Picked this up from the chatroom today coïncidentally (honours go to JesusFreke):

I can confirm this works.

The problem with this "unlocked" phone is that it requires a SIM with a data plan to get past the provisioning screen. I have a valid pay-as-you-go T-Mobile SIM and that's not good enough. I've done some experimenting and if you provision the phone with a valid (data plan) SIM and then pop in an invalid (no data plan) SIM, the phone will continue to operate and you can even make calls--but no data of course.

It will accept AT&T or T-Mobile SIMs with data plans. Possibly other GSM carriers as well.
Sparkletron
Developer
Developer

Postby beausejour » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:20 pm

Sparkletron wrote:
pjv wrote:Picked this up from the chatroom today coïncidentally (honours go to JesusFreke):

I can confirm this works.

The problem with this "unlocked" phone is that it requires a SIM with a data plan to get past the provisioning screen. I have a valid pay-as-you-go T-Mobile SIM and that's not good enough. I've done some experimenting and if you provision the phone with a valid (data plan) SIM and then pop in an invalid (no data plan) SIM, the phone will continue to operate and you can even make calls--but no data of course.

It will accept AT&T or T-Mobile SIMs with data plans. Possibly other GSM carriers as well.

Here is a solution to register the G1 without a sim or data plan i found on xda-developers.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=452316
beausejour
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby Sparkletron » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:41 pm

beausejour wrote:Here is a solution to register the G1 without a sim or data plan i found on xda-developers.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=452316

Thanks but "It won't work with official RC30". The point of buying an unlocked phone for $400 is so that you don't have to hack the phone. The developer G1 should give you root access, allow you to see and modify the data directory and everything in it--just like with the simulator...
Sparkletron
Developer
Developer

Postby cuttlefishIndustries » Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:09 pm

Hey guys, can anyone confirm definitively that I can take my AT&T SIM card out of my iPhone 3G, plop it into my dev G1, and have calling and network access in the USA on AT&T's network?

Seems like it should work, I'm sure a lot of us want to write code for both phones and it'd be nice to know this'll work before ordering.
Mason McCuskey
Cuttlefish Industries - purveyor of quality applications for your iPhone or Android phone.
http://www.cuttlefishindustries.com
cuttlefishIndustries
Freshman
Freshman

Postby Sparkletron » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:04 am

cuttlefishIndustries wrote:Hey guys, can anyone confirm definitively that I can take my AT&T SIM card out of my iPhone 3G, plop it into my dev G1, and have calling and network access in the USA on AT&T's network?

Assuming your AT&T SIM has a data plan associated with it, then yes it will work.
Sparkletron
Developer
Developer

Postby The Spirit » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:06 pm

got my developer phone on 31. and love it.
it is an easy way to use it in germany without unlocking it and all the hacking.
needs some reboot sometimes with taking out battery and reinstalling. works fine with my complete option from t-mobile which i signed together with my iphone 3g contract.
i paid 404€ incl. registering as a developer, shipping and taxes.
would have paid around 440€ for a standart unlocked g1 from ebay

edit: delivery time was 3 days. i think this is super fast
The Spirit
Developer
Developer

Postby cuttlefishIndustries » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:02 pm

Sparkletron wrote:
cuttlefishIndustries wrote:Hey guys, can anyone confirm definitively that I can take my AT&T SIM card out of my iPhone 3G, plop it into my dev G1, and have calling and network access in the USA on AT&T's network?

Assuming your AT&T SIM has a data plan associated with it, then yes it will work.

Awesome, thanks.
Mason McCuskey
Cuttlefish Industries - purveyor of quality applications for your iPhone or Android phone.
http://www.cuttlefishindustries.com
cuttlefishIndustries
Freshman
Freshman

Postby ErnestoGuevara » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:30 pm

Just a side note... I've had my dev phone for about a month now. The best part is the quirky art on the back - all my geeky friends are jealous.

Che
ErnestoGuevara
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby len » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:35 am

Babau wrote:I'm posting this from my G1 dev phone, arrived today. It's great, activated fine and connected to Three here in Aus.

Tip for future users, it only has T-Mobile APNs configured, however it doesn't prompt you to enter your own carrier's settings before trying to register itself. Hittitng menu on the screen will take you to a list of the APNs the phone knows about, then hitting menu again will let you add a new one.

Also, one reason the shipping is so much is that Brightstar sends the phone in a freaking enormous box for no apparent reason. It's not even filled with packing material, only three inflatable pads hiding in the corner.

The design on the back is really nice in real life, though.

How much did the entire mobile+shipment+etc cost?
How long did you wait for the shipment to arrive?
len
Once Poster
Once Poster

PreviousNext

Return to News & Rumors