Google selling unlocked T-Mobile G1 as Android Dev 1

Supervised News & Rumors concerning the Google Android Platform.

usable on Verizon?

Postby molsen » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:44 pm

Any word if the unlocked G1's will work on Verizon's so called "Open Network"?

If this has already been discussed, can someone link me to the proper thread?

Thanks!
molsen
Once Poster
Once Poster

Postby brnzn » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:04 am

For pjv and others who want to know whats behind the $25 door - the details of the Android Dev Phone 1 are listed as:

Development Platform Features

* SIM unlocked - Put any SIM in the device
* Hardware unlocked - Rebuild the Android operating system, and load it onto the device
* Test out your apps on real hardware before publishing them to the world

Software Features

* Real web browsing
* Customizable home screen
* One-touch Google™ Search
* Android Market
* Full-featured Google applications:
o Google Maps™
o Gmail™
o YouTube™
o Google Calendar™
o Google Talk™
* SMS and MMS
* Music player

Hardware Features

* Touch screen
* Trackball
* 3.2 Megapixel camera with auto focus
* Wi-Fi
* Bluetooth v2.0
o Handsfree profile v1.5
o Headset profile v1.0
* 3G WCDMA (1700/2100 MHz)
* Quad-band GSM (850/900/1800/1900 MHz)
* QWERTY slider keyboard
* Includes 1GB MicroSD card (Can be replaced with up to 16GB card)
* Included in the box
o HTC Android Dev Phone 1
o USB Cable
o AC Adapter (with US plug)
o Stereo Hands-Free Headset
o Battery
o Getting Starting Guide
o 1G Micro SD Card (inserted into Device)

So it's a pretty complete kit - includes headset etc.

What I'm wondering is does the dev version have a GPS unit built in? The HTC G1 product specs (http://www.htc.com/www/product/g1/specification.html) lists the GPS capability, but the hardware specs on the Android Dev 1 do not. Anyone have any info on this? Is it just an oversight on the Dev 1 specs page?

brnzn
brnzn
Freshman
Freshman

Postby pjv » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:17 pm

@brnzn and the others: thanks for the info.

The dev phone in itself is a great opportunity and shows that the community is at least welcome. I think in our excitement this wasn't mentioned yet.

Some answers/rumours gathered from "the cloud" to my questions above. Believe them or not.
  • Concerning the shipping/customs:
    http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/155132/unlocked_android_phone_pricey_outside_the_us.html
    http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers/browse_thread/thread/f0dcbdbfdb1705e3#
    http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers/browse_thread/thread/3bcf57978cfa3600
    http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers/browse_thread/thread/2a9e3b2074ffdc21
  • There seems to be no formal timeframe as to delivery, not even after ordering, but likely they just ship without delay and you'll get it when it's arrived ;-).
  • I still think the fees are quite high. The blame is not necessarily on Google here, I admit that the rip-off might be on the side of our customs services as well. For Europe I thought there was an amount of €430 that you don't have to declare, but this seems to be only if you travel yourself. The import value threshold is €22 (VAT)/€150 (import tax), which the phone clearly exceeds.
  • I also believe there is a missed chance for a more optimal mutual arrangement by using the Google centers in each of the countries. Importing from anywhere else is never beneficial. IANAL but even Brightstar Corp. has offices in Europe. Anyway, this is not something we'll be able to change. Anyone have any experience with reclaiming 20% VAT/sales tax in the USA?
  • The phone is the G1 (USA and UK versions are equal as to the main device hardware) in black with custom art on the back.
  • I'm pretty sure it has GPS: "jbq: GPS might have been forgotten on the list. I'll relay the information "inside" to confirm it. I'd be very surprised and disappointed if it wasn't there." "morrildl: yes, the devphone has GPS" Though
    this ZDNet blog explicitely says it doesn't but they probably read that from the (faulty) Market specs.
  • Regular system image is on the phone already. Google is seriously considering of making the original image available for download, in case you change it and want the closed source apps back.
  • "The Android Dev Phone 1 supports 3G in Europe. It depends on the carrier, the country, etc. though. But it should work in most cases." My personal view on this is that 1700 and 2100MHz bands are pretty common, especially in city areas. I understood that operators often also use the ~800/900MHz (=GSM) to get more coverage, i.e. in rural areas, and the phone doesn't support these frequencies (the Kogan Agora has more freqs for instance).
    http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers/browse_thread/thread/14ec9f734d870806
  • About OTA updates: "jbq: I think that the question of OTA updates is still an open question. Obviously some developers (purely application developers) might prefer auto-updates, whereas others (the ones more likely to flash the phone on their own) probably want to have more control over what goes on."
  • GMail app, SDcard and headset included, T-Mobile myFavvs not ofcourse.
pjv
Developer
Developer

Postby brnzn » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:37 pm

pjv: thanks for the awesome compilation of info there!

It's a pity the GPS bullet point was left off the dev 1 info sheet. If it was there I would have bought one by now :) As it is I still wanna wait for official confirmation, or maybe I'll just grab an Agora when they come out in Australia since I'll be there next month.

brnzn
brnzn
Freshman
Freshman

Postby EricCartman » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:27 pm

Just saw the spec was updated with 'GPS-enabled'...
EricCartman
Freshman
Freshman

Postby Babau » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:03 am

Has anyone's order shipped yet? We're outside the 3 working day timeframe now and I haven't heard anything from Brightstar.
Babau
Freshman
Freshman

Postby bit » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:35 pm

Babau wrote:Has anyone's order shipped yet? We're outside the 3 working day timeframe now and I haven't heard anything from Brightstar.
I've not heard either, though my CC has been charged. Has anyone figured out how to check on the order status online?
bit
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby Babau » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:30 am

Good news! I emailed Brightstar since I was concerned about getting it before I leave for a long trip overseas. They emailed me back with a tracking number, turns out the phone was actually dispatched on the 9th and it's already in Sydney!

So it looks like, while there has been a delay on getting the tracking numbers out for whatever reason, orders have been shipped very promptly.

::edit::
Just noticed it's scheduled delivery date is the 17th. It takes 5 days to get from the clearing agency to me? Urk :(
Babau
Freshman
Freshman

Postby Rakoun » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:59 pm

Well, I would like to ask a question to google. On the android Market it is possible to ship the G1 in France. Me I live in Guadeloupe, a french carib province, is someone can tell me if it is possibel to ship the G1 in Guadeloupe via anrdoid market? I have already ask the question on android market forum but no response.

Thanks.

Rakoun
:!:
Pa konèt mové, dèyè do sé on péyi.
Rakoun
Freshman
Freshman

Postby bit » Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:36 am

bit wrote:
Babau wrote:Has anyone's order shipped yet? We're outside the 3 working day timeframe now and I haven't heard anything from Brightstar.
I've not heard either, though my CC has been charged. Has anyone figured out how to check on the order status online?
Just to follow up: ordered Monday w/ overnight shipping, received the phone today. No shipping notices, etc.
bit
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby beausejour » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:24 am

bit wrote:
bit wrote:
Just to follow up: ordered Monday w/ overnight shipping, received the phone today. No shipping notices, etc.

Hi, bit. Which country do you live?
beausejour
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby bit » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:23 am

beausejour wrote:Hi, bit. Which country do you live?
The US.

Don't be jealous of my getting the phone -- until I get a sim card with some sort of data plan I can't do anything with the phone as I can't get past the registration screens. :(
bit
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby pjv » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:39 am

Can't you do that via wifi?
pjv
Developer
Developer

Postby bit » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:10 pm

pjv wrote:Can't you do that via wifi?
No, I can't get to the screen to configure wireless until I get past registration.
bit
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby beausejour » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:22 pm

bit wrote:
beausejour wrote:Hi, bit. Which country do you live?
The US.

Don't be jealous of my getting the phone -- until I get a sim card with some sort of data plan I can't do anything with the phone as I can't get past the registration screens. :(

Even in US, the delivery takes almost 1 week!! I live in France, the delivery time should be at least twice time for you. Is the registration stuff is the part that you configure your Gmail account part?

Thanks for sharing your information.
beausejour
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

PreviousNext

Return to News & Rumors