Get Your Android Application Tested on a G1 !

Supervised News & Rumors concerning the Google Android Platform.

Get Your Android Application Tested on a G1 !

Postby plusminus » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:15 pm

Hello Community,

I have really exciting news for you, fellow developers. g1usernow got a G1 and gives developers the chance to get their applications tested on real hardware :!: Thank you so much :D :!:

So guys, give him a variety of apps (signed apks for direct web download) that make use of the various capabilities of the G1, that could not or badly be tested on the emulator. Like GPS/Compass/Camera/OpenGL...

I'll be passing AndNav to him :)

This is a big chance to get some first hand experience on your application :!: Please make the overhead for him minimal so he can test many apps, without bothering around with simple problems.

Also Throw questions at him :!: :D

Questions:
  1. Q: How does the Android Market feel and are there any not yet public apps in it :?:
    • A: ... The Android Market feels polished. It operates smoothly, has a "featured apps" section and allows you to sort apps by date added (I love that option)
  2. Q: Can you find the Text2Speech-Library in the Android-Market :?:
    • A: ...Yes it is in the market. It is required to install the TTS library when installing "Adroid says" (Simon clone) so that the game can speak to you.
  3. Q: Is web-browsing a good experience :?:
    • A: ... The web browsing experience is great. The browse is pretty fast and renders pages nicely. The zooming function is awkward at first (if your used to iphone pinching) and finger scrolling seems a little choppy compared to the iPhone. Scrolling with the trackball is much smoother.
  4. Q: Is 3G performing well, i.e. while browsing the Maps :?:
    • A: ... No way to test 3G, but maps works fairly well even on EDGE. I can only imagine how awesome maps works while on 3G.
  5. Q: ...
    • A: ...

Other things that turned out:
  • Performance of OpenGL Apps seems to double, related to running in the emulator[sup](@ 4200+ X2 @ 2.5GHz, 2GB RAM)[/sup]

/plusminus for anddev.org
Last edited by plusminus on Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
Image | Android Development Community / Tutorials
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MrSnowflake » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:17 pm

Q: Can you send it to me? <details>
A: Yes ofcourse, it's comming right your way!
:D
MrSnowflake

Postby plusminus » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:27 pm

MrSnowflake wrote:Q: Can you send it to me? <details>
A: Yes ofcourse, it's comming right your way!
:D

I also was close to asking that :D
Btw: Got response from him:
g1usernow wrote:Sure nicolas, I'll take a photo and answer questions tonight when I get home. I installed the open map apk but I don't see an icon in the maps menu. It warned me that this app can pretty much view or change anything on the device. Where should I look to launch the program?

Hello 'g1usernow',

Strange, I only have [font=Courier New]ACCESS_INTERNET[/font] and [font=Courier New]ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION[/font] :?
Also there should an icon similar to this one :darrow: appear in the menu that can be dragged up from the home-screen :?

Its hard to give exact advice, without knowing what the current android-version does :? damnit.

Best Regards,
plusminus
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MrSnowflake » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:28 pm

Hehe yeah, pretty hard giving advice on how to use the phone when you don't have one :P.
MrSnowflake

Postby g1usernow » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:32 am

Yeah, I assumed it would just be a standard install but it gave warning that made the app seemed like it was taking over the world. (CORRECTION The package install was unsuccessful) After the install I saw no icon in the apps menu and even after reboot it doesn't show. That's the reason I asked what it should look like upon install, I didn't now if it was just a framework or overlay to the existing maps app..
Last edited by g1usernow on Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
g1usernow
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Re: Get Your Android Application Tested on a G1 !

Postby g1usernow » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:37 am

[Edit by plusminus]
Added answers to first post.
[/Edit]
g1usernow
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby g1usernow » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:20 am

I've just finished testing openGL performance for FallBall.apk on the G1 for developer "esteem" and PM'd the results to him.

AndOpenStreetMap_signed-1.apk said it must replace an existing app when installing the first time and gave a warning that it must take control of everything, like it was replacing android itself. After installing there was no app icon.

To the creator of "gravity ringer", do you have an apk for testing?

PlusMinus, I'd love to test AndNav for you as well.
g1usernow
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby esteem » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:38 am

Just to share a little on the opengl performance... For the simple test I sent him, i get about 27-29 fps on the android emulator on my machine. When tested on the G1, g1usernow has reported fps' around 55-61, so in this case, performance has doubled!
esteem
Freshman
Freshman

Postby plusminus » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:48 am

g1usernow wrote:I've just finished testing openGL performance for FallBall.apk on the G1 for developer "esteem" and PM'd the results to him.

AndOpenStreetMap_signed-1.apk said it must replace an existing app when installing the first time and gave a warning that it must take control of everything, like it was replacing android itself. After installing there was no app icon.

PlusMinus, I'd love to test AndNav for you as well.

Thats really strange... (see how it should show up in the attached screenshot) these are the only permissions it should be asking for:
Syntax: [ Download ] [ Hide ]
Using xml Syntax Highlighting
  1.     <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION"/>
  2.     <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.ACCESS_MOCK_LOCATION" />
  3.     <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.INTERNET" />
Parsed in 0.001 seconds, using GeSHi 1.0.8.4

I'll be sending you AndNav within at least 2 hours.

esteem wrote:Just to share a little on the opengl performance... For the simple test I sent him, i get about 27-29 fps on the android emulator on my machine. When tested on the G1, g1usernow has reported fps' around 55-61, so in this case, performance has doubled!

How would you rate your machine, as low/average/high powerful :?: (Just to make comparison for other devs easier)
Attachments
osmviewer_showing_in_menu.png
This is how the OpenStreetMapViewer-Samples Application should show up in the menu.
osmviewer_showing_in_menu.png (62.39 KiB) Viewed 13657 times
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby esteem » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:19 am

plusminus wrote:
esteem wrote:Just to share a little on the opengl performance... For the simple test I sent him, i get about 27-29 fps on the android emulator on my machine. When tested on the G1, g1usernow has reported fps' around 55-61, so in this case, performance has doubled!

How would you rate your machine, as low/average/high powerful :?: (Just to make comparison for other devs easier)

4200+ X2 @ 2.5ghz, 2gb RAM. i guess you could consider it average compared to todays machines.
esteem
Freshman
Freshman

Postby MrSnowflake » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:07 am

g1usernow wrote:To the creator of "gravity ringer", do you have an apk for testing?
I'll have a look at the apk signing later today! Thanks in advance.

I've got a question too. I've never used or even seen a trackball on a cellphone, so I was wondering how it works, is it like a real computer trackball, or more like a joystick functionality? Cause I'm wondering how well a trackball would work for games. With a d-pad you just have to keep pressing to get your char walking, but on a trackball you have to keep rolling it in that direction, which makes it a lot less suitable for games i guess.
MrSnowflake

Postby plusminus » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:24 pm

MrSnowflake wrote:
g1usernow wrote:To the creator of "gravity ringer", do you have an apk for testing?
I'll have a look at the apk signing later today! Thanks in advance.

I've got a question too. I've never used or even seen a trackball on a cellphone, so I was wondering how it works, is it like a real computer trackball, or more like a joystick functionality? Cause I'm wondering how well a trackball would work for games. With a d-pad you just have to keep pressing to get your char walking, but on a trackball you have to keep rolling it in that direction, which makes it a lot less suitable for games i guess.

A snowflake, I did a tutorial here on anddev ( ... link ... )

g1usernow has made the adorable effort of a video on hw he tries to install the OpenStreetMap-Sample app, this is how it turned out:

It seems like it wants every freaking permission that it can get, whereas I only have the following in the Manifest:
  1.     <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION"/>
  2.     <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.ACCESS_MOCK_LOCATION" />

Maybe the second one caused the problem, because it is outdated since sdk 1.0.

Hoping that AndNav works :)

Best Regards,
plusminus
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby plusminus » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:31 pm

Heres the new version of the OpenStreetMapViewer:

files/OpenStreetMapViewer_signed.apk

Maybe that works :?
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MrSnowflake » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:43 pm

plusminus wrote:It seems like it wants every freaking permission that it can get, whereas I only have the following in the Manifest:

Maybe the second one caused the problem, because it is outdated since sdk 1.0.
Strange indeed, maybe you have all permissions because you have your app in debug mode (Development Tools), or something.
MrSnowflake

Postby plusminus » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:06 pm

MrSnowflake wrote:Maybe the second one caused the problem, because it is outdated since sdk 1.0.
Strange indeed, maybe you have all permissions because you have your app in debug mode (Development Tools), or something.[/quote]

What do you mean with Debugmode :?:
I exported it with "Export unsigned apk" :? So at least the Android-Docs say thats the way it should work ;?
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to News & Rumors