minutes ago Google released a new version of the Android SDK. Developers have waited over 2 months for this moment.
The latest SDK can be downloaded from this location.
The ADT-Plugin has also been updated. Once again, prefer reinstalling before updating the ADT plugin.
Windows android-sdk_m5-rc14_windows.zip 79 MB ecc75c1e69588350634ca25867ce05a0
Mac OS X (intel) android-sdk_m5-rc14_mac-x86.zip 76 MB 844c80d0adb1a326f5a9fff262c61efc
Linux (i386) android-sdk_m5-rc14_linux-x86.zip 76 MB f8b863c8a880afe9bb84124f5976aab1
List of changes from M3-RC37a to m5-rc14 .
Some new Features:
New user interface
- As I mentioned when we introduced the m3 version of the Android SDK, we're continuing to refine the UI that's available for Android. m5-rc14 replaces the previous placeholder with a new UI, but as before, work on it is still in-progress.
- A new version of ADT is available and provides improvements to the Android developer experience. In particular, check out the new Android Manifest editor.
- The Android emulator now support SD card images up to 128 GB in size. The previous limit was 2 GB.
- Support for managing multiple devices has been integrated into DDMS. This should make it easier to debug applications that are run on multiple device scenarios.
- TabHost, TabWidget are no more deprecated.
- android.view.View now lets you post a Runnable in the UI thread with the methods post(Runnable) and postDelayed(Runnable, long). This can be used as an alternative to creating a Handler in a subclass or in an application.
- android.widget.ExpandableListView is a new widget that provides a two-level tree-type widget. The top-level items are groups and are each expandable/collapsible to reveal the group's children.
- There are three new menu types: the icon menu, the expanded menu, and context menus.
- android.location.Address defines a postal address.
- android.location.Location (which existed in M3) defines a location via latitude/longitude.
- android.location.Geocoder defines interfaces to obtain a Location from an Address (geocoding) or an address from a Location (reverse geocoding). It also supports business search.
- Transient notifications are not called notifications anymore. They are now called android.widget.Toasts. This name may not be permanent, but the rest of the API should be quite settledTransient notifications are not called notifications anymore. They are now called android.widget.Toasts. This name may not be permanent, but the rest of the API should be quite settled.
We tried to extract the most important changes in the SDK. For all changes have a look :src: here.
/plusminus for anddev.org