Delicate news on T-Mobile (USA) killing apps ?

Supervised News & Rumors concerning the Google Android Platform.

Delicate news on T-Mobile (USA) killing apps ?

Postby plusminus » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:03 pm

Hello Community,

read the quote I found on businessweek.com and let me know what you think about it (especially the bold sentence). My opinion is: Why the f*** should I be paying money for using the data the flatrate is giving me for free :?:

via businessweek.com
businessweek.com wrote:Andy Rubin, who heads up Google’s Android efforts, spoke to me yesterday about his vision for the Android Market. In particular, we talked about how the market will be different from Apple’s iTunes App Store and some other efforts, which also peddle software for cell phones.

Rubin’s message: Google won’t impose many of the restrictions Apple developers have been grumbling about. Unlike iPhone aficionados, developers using Android Market will, for example, be able to allow consumers to try their applications for free before they buy them. This may seem like a small thing, but developers name lack of free trial as one of the biggest reasons behind their lukewarm App Store sales.

Android Market also won’t place limits on how much bandwidth a given application may use up. T-Mobile G1 phone launch partner, T-Mobile USA, just announced that it will ask developers whose free apps take up more than 15 Megabytes of bandwidth per user per month to pay it a $2 monthly fee. Since G1 users will be downloading apps from the Android Market, which offers no such restrictions, that policy, it seems to me, may be difficult to enforce.

As a result, I wouldn't be surprised if some Apple developers migrate over. Android Market could end up being a bigger hotbed of innovation than even the App Store. "We want the next killer application to be written for cell phones, not the Internet," Rubin said.

I'm not sure if I properly understood that bold sentence... :?

/plusminus for anddev.org
Image | Android Development Community / Tutorials
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MrSnowflake » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:31 pm

It sais, that when an application I wrote uses more than 15mb a month per user, I have to pay 2 bucks to T-Mobile. Heh, I guess NOT! Just distribute the app without market, or sell it on market for $1 :D.
MrSnowflake

Postby MrSnowflake » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:23 pm

I've came around some more info: http://tweakers.net/nieuws/55969/t-mobi ... aties.html K, it's in Dutch, but there's a table indicating the fees.

It's only concerning the T-Mobile shop and not the Market. I do hope Market will make it possible for us to sell programs, because 100 different stores around the world aren't viable really...
Developers must pay a fee per user and the fee dependents on the amount of data used by the application. If the application is free, then the developer only has to pay if the app uses more than 15mb, developers of paying apps should pay money from 0mb.

How stupid is that? It's already worse than the app store. I hope there's going to come a real good alternative to these isp shops.
MrSnowflake

Postby ninor » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:29 pm

As the BusinessWeek reporter says, that policy will be difficult to enforce, as google's Android Market will have no such restrictions at all.
Which developer will accept that only to be in T-Mo's Market? Only the ones who won't consume those Mb/month.
Image AndDev: Your Android Development Community / Tutorials | Here's my Basic ToolKit
ninor

Return to News & Rumors