BigNerdRanch.com - 5 day Android Bootcamp - GIVEAWAY!

Supervised News & Rumors concerning the Google Android Platform.

BigNerdRanch.com - 5 day Android Bootcamp - GIVEAWAY!

Postby plusminus » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:03 am

Hello Community,

we have amazing news for you.

Imagine getting a 5-day BigNerdRanch.com Android Bootcamp with Mark Murphy, the author of 'The Busy Coder's Guide to Android Development', worth 3500$ for free :shock:

[align=center]We have one giveaway for one of you fellow Androids.[/align]
How can I participate :?:
[align=center]All you need to reply to this thread and make 4[sup]+[/sup] Android-Development related posts here on anddev.org before March 1[sup]st[/sup] 23:59 UTC+0.
Why? Check the Prerequisites![/align]

Who will win and who can win :?:
Everyone can win :!: [sub](check the prerequisites)[/sub]
How we will pick:
  1. We will randomly pick one of the people responding to this article
  2. We will check if he has done the 4[sup]+[/sup] Android-Development related posts here on anddev.org
  3. Check if he meets the prerequisites (Basic Java Knowledge)
  4. We ask the person if he is willing to take the prize ;)
If any of these fails, we restart at '1.'

What's Included :?:
Class price includes all class materials, a luxury room, three delicious meals a day, a stylish Big Nerd Ranch t-shirt, and ground transportation to and from the airport. Plan to arrive the afternoon or evening before your class begins and depart on the last day of your class after 4 PM.

Are there prerequisites :?:
Required:
  • Basic Knowledge in Java programming
  • Time to participate on the given 5 days (Monday March 16[sup]th[/sup] to Friday March 20[sup]th[/sup] 2009)
  • Somehow manage to get to the Atlanta Airport, where you get picked up (Check 'Arrival & Departure information' below)
Please ensure that you meet these prerequisites, to keep trouble as low as possible.

Helpful:
  • Basic experience developing graphical user interfaces will be helpful.
  • Students desiring preparatory reading prior to class should visit http://code.google.com/android/

What will I learn :?:
For a full schedule check out: http://www.bignerdranch.com/classes/android.shtml
  • Android-Introduction
  • Layouts & Widgets
  • Dealign with Threads
  • Android Lifecycle Management
  • Content Providers
  • Services & Permissions
  • Locaton based Services
  • Playing Media
  • and many many more...

Where & When is it :?:
The bootcamp will last from Monday March 16[sup]th[/sup] to Friday March 20[sup]th[/sup] 2009 and is located in the Historic Banning Mills in Atlanta, Georgia.
In North America, our classes are taught in a carefully chosen retreat center one hour southwest of metro Atlanta. Your needs can be accommodated with minimal distraction. The quiet atmosphere and beautiful scenery allow you to relax and focus on learning.

[align=center]Image[/align]

Our luxury accommodations are spacious rooms with queen-sized beds, private baths, private decks and spectacular views.

We have spared no expense to create a state-of-the-art classroom. Each student gets to use an iMac G5. This is the ultimate combination of power, silence, and comfort. The projection system is bright and clear.

Who will teach the class :?:
Your teacher will be Mark Murphy the author of the well known Android-book: 'The Busy Coder's Guide to Android Development'. I do not know him personally, but over the last 1½ of my Android years I have seen him giving many many really helpful and easy to understand advice to fellow Androids.
Android Instructor Mark Murphy brings to you 25 years of programming experience, and has served as a developer trainer and consultant for nearly two decades. He is the founder of CommonsWare and the author of The Busy Coder's Guide to Android Development.

Mark has written training courses for CollabNet on open source licensing and the use of CollabNet's flagship SourceCast collaborative software development tools, delivered to firms such as Nokia, HP, Sun, and RealNetworks. As a developer, he has slung code on behalf of firms like FedEx and American Management Systems.

Mark has been involved with mobile development since the early days of the Handheld Device Markup Language (HDML) in 1996, his PageBlazer Web development IDE was the first to support creating applications that served both to the Web and to wireless devices.

What do I have to pay :?:
The only thing you have to manage is to get a flight to Atlanta, where you will be picked up.

Is there Arrival & Departure information :?:
Participants arrive on Sunday, March 15. If they're flying in, they arrive at the Atlanta airport (ATL), and they need to plan an arrival time of 7 PM or before. We pick people up in shuttles at 2 PM, 5 PM and 8 PM and transport them to the lodge (about 45 minutes away).

For the return trip, they'll need to book a flight for 4 PM or later on March 20. Again, we provide a shuttle back to the airport at 1 PM.

Are there any restrictions :?:
The prize can not be transfered to another person, class or date.
There's no monetary value to the prize - the winner must use the free ticket or pass it on for another random drawing.

Oh my god ...wish I could participate myself :cry:

If you are the lucky winner: Please send us some photos of this Android Heaven :D

[align=center]Good luck :)[/align]

Note: BigNerdRanch.com is responsible for this giveaway.

/plusminus for anddev.org

This article is subject to change without prior notice.
Last edited by plusminus on Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Image | Android Development Community / Tutorials
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby bit » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:41 am

Sounds like a great opportunity. I have ~10 years Java experience, so I think I have that prereq covered.

ETA: Android development experience. I've been making a Chinese/English dictionary. I've not had too many problems so far, and was able to work through populating screens and writing and getting data from a database-backed ContentProvider. So far I really enjoy developing for the Android and look forward to working with more APIs.

I'm in the South, so it might be cheaper for me to drive down, is that OK?
Last edited by bit on Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
bit
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby plusminus » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:24 am

bit wrote:I'm in the South, so it might be cheaper for me to drive down, is that OK?

As far as I know it doesn't matter how you get there. But being picked up at the airport sounds not too bad to me.

Best Regards,
Nicolas
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby buster » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:10 am

Woohoo, count me in! 8)
buster
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby oldsk00lz » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:56 am

Cool freebie... 2 bad flight isn't included, but still nice. :)
oldsk00lz
Once Poster
Once Poster

Postby yorgosg » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:10 am

hello,

sounds very exciting, please count me in too!

The contest should expire a bit earlier in my opinion, cause booking a flight from Europe to Atlanta only 10 days in advance might cost you as much as the BootCamp costs... :)

Anyone else thinks the same? Could we end it a few days earlier? All true users of the forum will see this post within a few days anyhow..

Cheers
yorgosg
Developer
Developer

Postby yorgosg » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:06 pm

actually, plusminus what do you mean by "4+ Android-Development posts"? Can it be any posts on the forum?
yorgosg
Developer
Developer

Postby plusminus » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:34 am

Hi,

with "4+ Android-Development posts" we want ensure that the winner has at least minimal experience in Android Development.

Without checking further your 28 post should definitely qualify you.

Best Regards,
Nicolas
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby BigBalou » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:53 pm

I have Java experience and I submited to the first challenge and developping for the second

I can take vacation during a week .

But for the "4+ Android-Development posts" I don't know :?
BigBalou
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby yorgosg » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:52 pm

i wish to withdraw my entry, i won't be able to make it in case i win.., thanks anyway
yorgosg
Developer
Developer

Postby Roarke » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:26 am

Noooo!!! I read about this a few minutes too late..

that, and I don't really have the posts..
Love to have it though. I'm good in a class environment, and have some java classes under my belt.
Right now I'm just starting my first program.
In all reality, its too large for a first program so I'm working slowly at it and taking little steps :)

This forum is great, and I hope one of the lucky people really use this gift!

seems like only a few applied though.. wonder why??

so its between bigbuster, bit and BigBalou? wow, 1/3 shot at $3500 prize! good luck guys!

R
Roarke
Freshman
Freshman

Postby BigBalou » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:27 am

And the winner is Bi...
BigBalou
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby BigBalou » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:51 pm

ME :lol:

really thx to AndDEV for this price.

Everyday, I'll try to make on the forum a little explanation of what I'll discover.

see you :D
BigBalou
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby MrSnowflake » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:54 pm

Since you have been spamming this thread for reaching your post number, you hereby are discualified from this giveaway. Also you are forbidden to ever develop for Android again! And you are hereby forced to hand over any Android device you own, to your favorite moderator (that's me :)).

;)
MrSnowflake

Postby BigBalou » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:08 pm

NNNNNoooooooo :shock:

I paied already this morning 260€ for my new passport in urgent delivery mode!!!!
BigBalou
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Next

Return to News & Rumors