Android Will Have A Version of Google Chrome

Supervised News & Rumors concerning the Google Android Platform.

Android Will Have A Version of Google Chrome

Postby plusminus » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:13 am

Hello Community,

via phandroid.com
We saw this coming a mile away. As we predicted, Android WILL get a mobile iteration of Chrome and this has been confirmed by the Google CEO himself - Sergey Brin - in an interview. But what will they name the new browser?

They could name it something completely different but it would make great sense for them to keep the brand in tact for obvious reasons. So lets have some fun and speculate what Google COULD call it. Feel free to make your guess in the comments!

The browser itself is called “Chrome” and the Open Source Project and Developer stuff is called “Chromium”, right? So the chances are that the mobile browser will be named some similar derivative. Chromium is a chemical element and the mineral ore called Chromite is made from it.

So could Android’s browser be called Chromite? Afterall, it sounds tiny and it IS made from the element Chromium so it makes sense logically. We’ll put that on the likely list.

They could also incorporate the word “Mobile” as most of these browsers do and ChroMo would make a lot of sense and it sounds pretty cool. But once Android launches and all the phandroids out there are browsing the web with ChroMo all day… thats exactly what people are going to call us Chromos. Yeah, umm no. Please Google avoid this at all costs… there is enough hate speech and hate crimes in the world, you don’t have to provoke it!

/plusminus for anddev.org
Image | Android Development Community / Tutorials
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby tberthel » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:39 am

Since they are both using webkit I would say that it already the way it is.

I'm not sure what they can pull from the chrome UI that you would fit on mobiles. I imagine most of the functionality that could be in the mobile version is already there.
tberthel
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Return to News & Rumors