Android probably delayed - 4th quarter 2008

Supervised News & Rumors concerning the Google Android Platform.

Android probably delayed - 4th quarter 2008

Postby plusminus » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:57 pm

Hello Community,

Note: Up to now, I have not seen a official announcement by Google! If someone does, let us know.

via Wall Street Journal:
Let me simply quote the most important parts:
wsj.com wrote:...

Google now says that the handsets won't arrive until the fourth quarter. And some cellular carriers and makers of programs that work with Android are struggling to meet that schedule, people familiar with the situation say.

T-Mobile USA expects to deliver an Android-powered phone in the fourth period. But that launch is taking up so much of Google's attention and resources that Sprint Nextel Corp., which had hoped to launch an Android phone this year, won't be able to, a person familiar with the matter said.

China Mobile, the largest wireless carrier in the world with nearly 400 million subscriber accounts, had planned to launch an Android phone in the third quarter but it has run into issues that will likely delay the launch until late this year or early 2009, a person familiar with the matter says.

:arrow: read more @Wall Street Journal:

/plusminus for anddev.org
Image | Android Development Community / Tutorials
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby code » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:18 am

Wish to see Android devices soon :) am waiting them to replace my current mobile with Android device :)
code
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby res » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:14 pm

It's a shame we don't have more specific dates from the carriers or Google. It seems interest in the Android platform has died down greatly due to lack of news/support/sdk or whatever reason you can think off.
res
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Postby fillthemup » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:48 pm

well, technically speaking, it's not delayed. the 4th quarter is still the second half of the year, BUT if the wall street journal article is somewhat right, sprint is releasing their first phone early 2009, which isn't in line with t-mobile, who is supposedly releasing it's first phone around november in 2008, quite possibly/probably the htc dream, which we don't have very many specs on.

i'm most interested in the always on gps and internet. when i boot up my bluetooth gps receiver for garmin on my sprint treo 700p, it takes anywhere from 30-120 seconds, sometimes even longer. and internet, around 30 seconds. now with android, it'll always be on! :) i think that's something i am looking forward to the most. that, and the accelerometer, which i've been meaning to wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accelerometer
fillthemup
Freshman
Freshman

Postby bluefloyd8 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:24 am

This is a problem for me! Ive been with a cheap cell phone for a while, waiting for Android to come. But now with the new 3G iPhones I might just go ahead and buy one of those. I dont want to wait until November and then be disappointed with a delay that pushes it back to sometime in 2009.
bluefloyd8
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Is Google's Android dead before it arrives?

Postby drhu00 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:08 pm

drhu00
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Re: Is Google's Android dead before it arrives?

Postby ych.tiger » Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:50 am

drhu00 wrote:http://www.thestandard.com/news/2008/07/14/googles-android-dead-it-arrives

I don't agree that. Google won't give up
ych.tiger
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Return to News & Rumors