Android Market - Opened for Paid Apps

Supervised News & Rumors concerning the Google Android Platform.

Android Market - Opened for Paid Apps

Postby plusminus » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:18 pm

Hello Community,

Hello,

I'm writing to let you know about a couple of updates to Android Market.

I'm pleased to announce that Android Market is now accepting priced
applications from US and UK developers. Developers from these countries
can go to the publisher website at http://market.android.com/publish to
upload their application(s) along with end user pricing for the apps.
Initially, priced applications will be available to end users in the US
starting mid next week. We will add end user support for additional
countries in the coming months.

We will also enable developers in Germany, Austria, Netherlands, France,
and Spain to offer priced applications later this quarter. By the end of
Q1 2009, we will announce support for developers in additional countries.
You can find more information about priced applications in Android Market
at http://market.android.com/support/

Google Checkout will serve as the payment and billing mechanism for
Android Market. Developers who do not already have a Google Checkout
merchant account can easily sign up for one via the publisher website.

Furthermore, I would like to let you know that Android Market for free
applications will become available to users in Australia starting February
15th Pacific Time and in Singapore in the coming weeks. You can now make
your applications available in these countries via the publisher website
at http://market.android.com/publish.

Finally, if you would like to receive development and marketing
information, please go to your profile page at
http://market.android.com/publish/editProfile and select the "Contact me
occasionally about development and Market opportunities" checkbox.

We look forward to seeing your applications on Android Market.

Eric Chu,
Android Market

/plusminus for anddev.org
Image | Android Development Community / Tutorials
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

non UK US developers

Postby rkarthik » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:10 pm

Hey its mentioned that only UK and US developers will be allowed to release paid applications, does this mean that developers from other countired cannot release paid apps, I'm from India...is there any other way around..
rkarthik
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby mortefer » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:43 pm

Yes, only US and UK for now. U need to have google checkout account to upload paid apps - when i tried to register for it from market.android.com it only had 2 values for location: United States && United Kingdom.
Other way around is to find a man in specified countries that will pass money to you. I'm seeking for one right now.
mortefer
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby rkarthik » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:14 pm

Hey guys so when can we expect for android market to accept appliations from other countries, is there any contact from whom we can get to know the details?
rkarthik
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby mortefer » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:26 pm

everything is in the letter
We will also enable developers in Germany, Austria, Netherlands, France,
and Spain to offer priced applications later this quarter. By the end of
Q1 2009, we will announce support for developers in additional countries.
mortefer
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Re: Android Market - Opened for Paid Apps

Postby konrad » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:28 pm

I'm pleased to announce that Android Market is now accepting priced
applications from US and UK developers

It's a joke!

What with others?

It is just ruining any sort of fair competition, I just could not believe it ....

Any one from UK interested in doing business with my app?

:(
Best regards
Konrad
konrad
Freshman
Freshman

Google is a Joke!

Postby NevinM » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:10 am

I develop for WM, RIM, Palm and Android and while there are definetly some good things about the android market, Google's implimentation of the market has been a very cumbersome process. They have done a very poor job of supporting developers, if you think about it many developlers have been working for over a year on software titles, now finally Google has decided to open the marketplace up to consumer apps. As a developer this has been a major frustration. Google has waited until the Market is flooded with freeware apps before allowing paid apps onto the Market. Most developers don't want to devote hours and hours of time and see no return ( I do admit this probably benefits the consumers). This has been a long wait. Now they allow developers to post applications, but they keep on changing the rules, first it was supposed to be totally open, then it was supposed to be set up to allow partner companies to recieve payments, now it is only Google Checkout that is allowed to process payments and developers are only allowed from the US and UK. I am from Canada and although I have a US tax number, because I do not have a US address, I am not allowed to post apps anyways. Google Checkout also has some strong ties to Google Ads which also makes me nervous. Was n't Google Checkout removed from Ebay? Even though you are allowed to post your apps now they do not show you how they plan on implementing Google Checkout, whether it be through a weblink on a website, if they are going to handle it somehow internally or if it will have to be embedded in the application code. It also does not show any option to have shareware applications or have a place to submit passwords ect. when entering a new application. It leaves developers wondering over the weekend what exactly to do.... I am not even sure Google knows what they are trying to do... On other sites like Handango, Pocketgear ect. this is a very straightforward process. As an Android developer this has been nothing but dissappointment after dissappointment. Has anyone here actually posted a paid app yet. I have found a few ways around the Google Checkout BS, but there are still no real instructions on how post shareware apps ect. Although I do see a demo option, am I supposed to post my application twice.
NevinM
Developer
Developer

Postby ErnestoGuevara » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:04 pm

If you're not in the US or UK and want to get a paid app into the market, let me know and maybe we can work something out.

I'm a professional software developer in the US. My business partner (graphics guy) and I have so far released one game to the market, Beat The Joker Slots, which has been downloaded 25000 times in 12 days and currently has a 3.80 rating (it is ad-supported). We also have a small website at http://www.awesomeandroidapps.com.

Email me if you're interested - info@awesomeandroidapps.com. I'm on vacation now, and won't be back until late monday night (Eastern US time) but I'll probably be able to respond before then.
Search "Awesome Android Apps" in the market
http://www.awesomeandroidapps.com
ErnestoGuevara
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Shareware Model???

Postby NevinM » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:50 pm

I have a couple of versions of my software that I would like to post on the market, but my preference is to post my applications as shareware applications, that allow users to try my software before purchasing. Does anyone know if the Market will support this type of model next week or if it is coming in the future sometime. I see that there is a drop down in the categories that lists "demo" as an option, but this does not seem like an ideal situation listing two different versions of my software, demo and full on the market. I really would like to just list one title and offer a trial with the option to purchase. Does anyone have any insight on this issue? To me it does not look like the Market is setup for this, it looks like you either buy the software without a trial or you do not buy it.

p.s. Sorry about the rant above, but the whole setup process for listing applications on the Market looks so confused and limited in options. There are also no little help buttons to clarify things either. Has anyone actually posted any commercial apps?

Nevin
NevinM
Developer
Developer

Re: Shareware Model???

Postby bit » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:10 am

NevinM wrote:I have a couple of versions of my software that I would like to post on the market, but my preference is to post my applications as shareware applications, that allow users to try my software before purchasing. Does anyone know if the Market will support this type of model next week or if it is coming in the future sometime.
Users will have 24-48 hours (not sure which; I've seen both numbers in android groups discussions) to try an app and return it for a refund if they don't like it.

The business model of "try it and pay me at some point outside of google's payment mechanisms" is not allowed under the terms of the Market. There's been a lot of discussion on payments, etc. on the android-discuss list; you could check its archives.

http://groups.google.com/group/android-discuss
bit
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Re: Shareware Model???

Postby abraxas » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:02 pm

bit wrote:Users will have 24-48 hours (not sure which; I've seen both numbers in android groups discussions) to try an app and return it for a refund if they don't like it.

The ANDROID MARKET DEVELOPER DISTRIBUTION AGREEMENT says exaclty how much time a user has to request for refund.

"Products that can be previewed by the buyer (such as ringtones and wallpapers): No refund is required or allowed.
Products that cannot be previewed by the buyer (such as applications): You authorize Google to give the buyer a full refund of the Product price if the buyer requests the refund within 48 hours after purchase."
Android Market Developer Distribution Agreement
abraxas
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby dovelsoft » Thu May 28, 2009 1:33 pm

yes
dovelsoft
Freshman
Freshman

Re: Android Market - Opened for Paid Apps

Postby BlackLight » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:31 pm

Hello all!

I wounder if any paid app on android market sells fine. I lunched several apps (lite/full versions) and there is "confusing" thing happens. Seems people like my apps - I have about 10.000 downloads in 2 weeks, 72% kept app, app has 4.5 stars. But paid app downloaded only 4 users and 3 refunds. This app is a clone of my friend's iPhone app. My friend's app stats from AppStore: lite version downloads - 7.000, paid version - 1.200.
I wounder what stats has other android apps.
BlackLight
Once Poster
Once Poster

hm.. That will be a very hot issue.

Postby zegna » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:36 pm

I am not in UK and US. but I hope the app I develop is selled in Free Market, if Free market is released of other

market. for Free world~ for Free Market!
zegna
Once Poster
Once Poster

Postby icobasco » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:13 am

At the present time, not just UK and US are allowed to sell apps.

For example, in Italy we can.

In Italy we can but by my side we still haven't sold anything. You can develope something and put it on the market and see how much you can have back. For a little effort and a little price you can try on your own.
icobasco
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Next

Return to News & Rumors