Android Market - No Revenue share - Lite-Versions

Supervised News & Rumors concerning the Google Android Platform.

android market tearms of service (30% rev share)

Postby soldair » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:51 am

hey guys i see that you talked about the android market and failed to realize that there is some great data in the fine print.

"You may set the price for your Products in the currencies permitted by the Payment Processor. The Market may display to users the price of Products in their native currency, but it is not responsible for the accuracy of currency rates or conversion

3.2 The price you set for Products will determine the amount of payment you will receive. A Transaction Fee, as defined below, will be charged on the sales price and apportioned to the Payment Processor and, if one exists, the Authorized Carrier. The remainder (sales price less Transaction Fee) will be remitted to you. The “Transaction Fee” is set forth at http://market.android.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=112622 and may be revised by Google from time to time. Developer is responsible for determining if a Product is taxable and the applicable tax rate for the Payment Processor to collect for each taxing jurisdiction where Products are sold. Developer is responsible for remitting taxes to the appropriate taxing authority. "

if you follow the link i made bold
http://market.android.com/support/bin/a ... swer=11262
you will find this.......

"Transaction Fees
For applications that you choose to sell in Android Market, the transaction fee is equivalent to 30% of the application price. For example, if you sell your application at a price of $10.00, the fee will be $3.00, and you will receive $7.00 in payment.

Please note that currently you can only upload free applications to Android Market; please stay tuned for paid application functionality."

30% is pretty serious rev share!

--Ryan Day
Web/android developer
http://ryanday.org
soldair
Once Poster
Once Poster

Postby MrSnowflake » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:18 am

This is the 30% that goes to the network operator. And most of us already knew about it.
Still, nice of you to look after our income :).
MrSnowflake

Trial Versions on the Market.

Postby NevinM » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:55 pm

Yes, I think many of us already knew about this, but some of us have posted trial software or lite versions of our software on the market already. Currently the market has no way of processing payments, so some of us have directions embedded in our applications as to how to pay for and get or receive registration codes for the full versions of our software. This does not always result in rave reviews from the consumers, but the android market is the most visible place to get your software exposed. As of now I have 10 times the number of downloads from Android Market as I do from Handango. I am also listed at 3 other sites, but they are n't even close. I clearly state in my descriptions that the software is a trial version, but it is still listed as free, since this is the only option.

As a side note, I have 7 times more sales of the same software title from Handango as I do from the Market, even though I have 10 times the number of downloads from the Market and clear directions on how to purchase the software.
NevinM
Developer
Developer

Christmas Suspension...

Postby NevinM » Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:25 am

Finally got the email that I have been expecting for awhile. The android market is finally starting to crack down on lite/trial software titles, posted on the market. I just recieved the following email:

"This is a notification that the application Golf Tracks (ID: -3564213790763428039) has been removed from Android Market due to a violation of the Developer Content Policy. Please review the Content Policies and Business and Program Policies before you create or upload additional applications.

For more information, or to contact us, please visit the Android Market Help Center.

Thanks,

The Android Market Team"

I am hoping that the market will be open to commercial/shareware in early in Q1. Otherwise I am stuck on just handango ect. Has anyone else been booted???

Nevin
NevinM
Developer
Developer

Postby bit » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:54 am

Has there been any word on putting a donate link in an app?
bit
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby NevinM » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:48 pm

bit wrote:Has there been any word on putting a donate link in an app?
[hr]
I basically think you cannot redirect to a payment site in any way unless is an approved payment processor. I recently was contacted by Mogees who is supposedly going to be one of these when they launch commercial and shareware in Q1. I put there SDK into my application, it is really just a new intent and a few libraries it looks like a simple and easy way to take payment. I already had this installed in the most recent version of my application before I got booted. Mogees did warn me not to post my application until Google allows commercial and trial software, but I don't listen very well... Now I just have to wait. I did not get booted until I had over 2000 downloads.
NevinM
Developer
Developer

Postby MrSnowflake » Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:11 pm

You can put a weburl in an Activity and launch the browser to go to that site. And do some paypal stuf there. I don't know if this is agains the Market's licence agreement.
MrSnowflake

shareware and free apps are hard on the market

Postby sazabo » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:03 pm

We are training our future customer that apps should be free. I myself will not post anymore free apps. It is similar to what the record industry is experiencing. I was consulting for Warner Music when I suggested that they buy Napster to get into the pay market and stop/slowdown free downloading. Now anyone under 25 thinks that you would be stupid to purchase music and Warner is in trouble.

Customer need to be guided, if they get free software they will excepted free software and the system will fail.

Jeff Brandt
www.motionPHR.com
sazabo
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Previous

Return to News & Rumors