Android Market - Launch-Apps stripped down to 13 !

Supervised News & Rumors concerning the Google Android Platform.

Android Market - Launch-Apps stripped down to 13 !

Postby plusminus » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:40 pm

Hello Community,

strange news. Google has stripped down the number of Apps in the Android-Market down to 13 :!:, which are:
  1. AccuWeather.com
  2. Plusmo College Football Live
  3. Myspace Mobile
  4. imeem for Android
  5. Plusmo Pro Football Live
  6. BlueBrush
  7. Maverick
  8. MyCloset
  9. Cab4ME Light
  10. e-ventr
  11. TuneWiki
  12. The Weather Channel
  13. BreadCrumbz
  14. Buzzd
Feel free to discuss the reasons for this decision...

/plusminus for anddev.org
Image | Android Development Community / Tutorials
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pjv » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:07 pm

Possible reason?: These are only the free ones.

Don't worry anyway, because in one or two weeks time apps will be swarming this market, the other markets, and the net, says my gut feeling.
pjv
Developer
Developer

Postby coding_android » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:51 pm

It seems that the android market is just being updated. So no worries about that topic. :-)
If you got job opportunities for me. Just drop me a personal message. - Android developement - integrating social media into Android
coding_android

Postby MrSnowflake » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:57 pm

There was an app in market that allowed you to changed a couple of Android stuff like system font size and stuff. But it apears to be removed too.. too bad. And the text2speech lib is gone too?!!
MrSnowflake

Postby oencke » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:22 pm

I think Google chose to do this to give first time users a great experience with apps they (Google) think meet the usability they strive for and thus these users will quickly learn what quality they can and should expect from third party apps. This way when all the rest of the other apps (re)enter the market, the users will already be aware of what to look for and what to dismiss. I think this is a good step creating demand and competition for higher quality future apps.
greetings,

oencke
oencke
Freshman
Freshman

Postby plusminus » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:33 am

I think that it sucks too, to see: "OMG there is one game !!! I can't believe it!!!" :/
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby xMemphisx » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:00 am

No locations app either? That was one of the biggest selling points for me with android in general. Yikes. :?
xMemphisx
Developer
Developer

Change is needed in the Android Market!

Postby NevinM » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:32 am

:cry: This is not good news for developers, but I think google is trying to do everything it can to have a smooth launch. After seeing what has happenned with Vista, Google executives are probably a little worried that a few minor problems can be blown up pretty quickly if you don't have everything tested pre-launch. A flood of third party apps that have not been tested on hardware, could cause bad press that may point the blame at the OS itself. This is the safe approach, but I am beginning to feel like Google is starting to tighten the reins on an open OS. This behavior is starting to remind me of the closed system that Apple is running. The openness was supposed to breed innovation, but I have n't seen too much support from Google for developers, other than a few contests. There needs to be more incentive to develop for the Android platform, which means that Google has to quickly find a way for developers to get paid. Launching the Android market with only 13 apps and the fact that they are all freeware, does n't help out developers in anyway. Some developers have been working for a year already and now Google is taking away the possibilty for developers to sell their apps on launch day, when the market is hot. Google needs to get shareware and commercial software on the Android Market, ASAP. The whole idea of the carriers dealing with the developers is a joke! That is the last thing that I want to do. Do I really want to deal with 13 different carriers? I don't really think Google has a plan in forthis or it would already be in place. The Android Market like most Google products will probably be in beta indefinitely. The Android Market is where I want to sell my apps, but sadly I will be stuch with Handago as the only place where I will be able to sell my apps on launch day.

Nevin

p.s. I am hoping for change, but not very optimistic.
NevinM
Developer
Developer

Postby funkym » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:15 am

The net is gonna win at the end guys! No worries! :)
funkym
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Re: Android Market - Launch-Apps stripped down to 13 !

Postby Rahul » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:55 pm

that was really bad :( ....But is it 13 or 14 applications?...

You have mentioned 14 app names ?
Rahul
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Re: Android Market - Launch-Apps stripped down to 13 !

Postby plusminus » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:50 pm

Rahul wrote:that was really bad :( ....But is it 13 or 14 applications?...

You have mentioned 14 app names ?

:-D oops
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Handango is now open with freeware, shareware and commercial

Postby NevinM » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:03 am

I just checked a few minutes ago. Handango is now open with freeware, shareware and commercial software for Android.
NevinM
Developer
Developer

Re: Handango is now open with freeware, shareware and commer

Postby funkym » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:19 am

NevinM wrote:I just checked a few minutes ago. Handango is now open with freeware, shareware and commercial software for Android.

Handango is one of the worst companies I know ... they rip off developers and keep 50% commission of the sales price. foreign developers have to pay 30% tax as well which means the developer just gets 35% of the actual price if he comes from the wrong country ... :(

And, their support is horrible! :)
funkym
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Handango

Postby NevinM » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:41 am

True, Handango does take a huge cut from developers and I still think in the long run Android Market will be the best place to sell apps, but for the time being atleast developers have another place to sell their apps. Any option is better than no option. Many consumers want more than what free apps offer and developers need to get paid for there innovation and effort. I don't know what Google's plan is for apps sales, but if it has to do with the developers giving money to and having to deal with carriers, I would rather deal with Handango. They offer the same ability in OTA transfer and they also handle a payment system. Google has dropped the ball...Hopefully they pick it up soon...
NevinM
Developer
Developer

Re: Handango

Postby funkym » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:47 am

NevinM wrote:True, Handango does take a huge cut from developers and I still think in the long run Android Market will be the best place to sell apps, but for the time being atleast developers have another place to sell their apps. Any option is better than no option. Many consumers want more than what free apps offer and developers need to get paid for there innovation and effort. I don't know what Google's plan is for apps sales, but if it has to do with the developers giving money to and having to deal with carriers, I would rather deal with Handango. They offer the same ability in OTA transfer and they also handle a payment system. Google has dropped the ball...Hopefully they pick it up soon...

You're right, but there are other place too like http://www.mobihand.com
funkym
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Next

Return to News & Rumors