Android Market FACTS

Supervised News & Rumors concerning the Google Android Platform.

Android Market FACTS

Postby plusminus » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:12 pm

Hello Community,

Quick Facts:
  • $25 on-time fee per developer (Not per app!)
  • 70% of the money go to the developer, 30% to the carried, 0% to Google
  • Add your apps from 2008-10-27
via android-developers.blogspot.com:
Last month I outlined some details around Android Market. Today, Android Market launched for users to download applications along with the first Android-powered phone—the T-Mobile G1.

With Android Market, users can easily download apps to their Android-powered phone. Users can also rate the apps they've downloaded and leave comments. These users' ratings along with anonymous usage statistics help determine how apps are ranked and presented within Android Market.

If you're a developer, you will be able to register and upload your applications starting next Monday, 2008-10-27, when we've wrapped up a few final details. In order to make sure that each developer is authenticated and responsible for their apps, you will need to register and pay a one time $25 application fee. Once registered, your apps can be made available to users without further validation or approval.

Starting in early Q1, developers will also be able to distribute paid apps in addition to free apps. Developers will get 70% of the revenue from each purchase; the remaining amount goes to carriers and billing settlement fees—Google does not take a percentage. We believe this revenue model creates a fair and positive experience for users, developers, and carriers.

There are already over 50 apps available in Android Market today. You can view a showcase of some of these apps—which include multimedia, location-based tools, barcode scanners, travel guides and games—at http://www.android.com/market/. Now that Android Market is live and ready for contributions, we hope to see developers adding their own compelling apps starting next week.

In the coming months, we'll continue to roll out additional tools and enhancements to Android Market. We also expect to see additional Android-powered devices rolling out by different carriers around the world. Starting today, you can get a device, test your apps on it, and get them ready for upload. On Monday, to share your app with the world, simply register, upload your application and publish it. It's really that easy. I look forward to seeing what you bring to the Market.

/plusminus for anddev.org
Last edited by plusminus on Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image | Android Development Community / Tutorials
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MrSnowflake » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:25 pm

That's even worse than Apple's App store. That was market for mee. Slideme.org and androidappstore.com (or what was it?) here I (and my apps) come.
MrSnowflake

Postby plusminus » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:36 pm

I'll probably do both, we'll see maybe with a slightly different price :?
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MrSnowflake » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:47 pm

Well yeah, but that means you have to pay $25 for every app. Making it more expensive as their androidappstore.com counter part will only make your $25 more expensive.
MrSnowflake

Postby coding_android » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:47 pm

I just confirmed that fee with romainguy. It is a ONE time fee that you just have to pay to be able to push your apps into the market. So you DON'T have to pay that fee per application. :-)

romainguy_: it's one time for you, not for each of your apps
If you got job opportunities for me. Just drop me a personal message. - Android developement - integrating social media into Android
coding_android

Postby MrSnowflake » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:25 pm

That makes the Market a lot more intereting!!!
MrSnowflake

Postby plusminus » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:38 pm

MrSnowflake wrote:That makes the Market a lot more intereting!!!

Especially when promoting free apps :!:
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MrSnowflake » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:02 pm

Actually the most important thing for me, is that I'm able to run my own apps on a device. Making an app which could be sold is just an extra.
MrSnowflake

Postby tberthel » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:05 pm

What are the payment methods for the $25?

Hopefully they accept paypal or allow some time for payment processing while apps are available.

I think it sucks that they have not made this info available before, and still allow others into the Android Market.
tberthel
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby jasont » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:12 pm

Random bit of info. The most popular applications in the market have had over 10,000 downloads already :shock:
jasont
Developer
Developer

Google is Laughing at us!

Postby NevinM » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:01 pm

MrSnowflake wrote:Actually the most important thing for me, is that I'm able to run my own apps on a device. Making an app which could be sold is just an extra.

Google loves developers, who spend alot of time and don't care if they make any money. This is exactly what google wants, a ton of free apps, so that they can push their platform and increase Google's visibility. Google does n't really care if anyone else makes money other than Google. Even though google is not taking a cut from app sales, Google is the best company at making money on seemingly free services, often developed by others. As long as Google has a strangle hold on "Search" a majority of their income will come from advertising sales. This is the bottom line for Google. Now google has decided to start undercutting other large companies, by offering services for free that were once paid for. In the short term this is a benefit to the consumer, but in the long run this undercuts the capitalist model and devalues developers and others who spend time innovating and developing new ideas. Capitalism can not exist without incentive. Google eliminates incentive from the model.

Nevin

p.s. Sorry if it sounds like a rant. Its not like the other big companies are n't evil in there own ways either...
NevinM
Developer
Developer

Postby MrSnowflake » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:50 am

I know google will make money, no company is stupid enough to put millions of dollars in a product they know before hand will make them loose money. I was merely saying that I hate Apple for not allowing me to run my own apps on the iPhone.
MrSnowflake

Apple Problems

Postby NevinM » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:37 pm

I agree with you 100%. Apple is even worse. They run a closed ship. The fact that there is no SDK for PC's and that apps need to be approved by Apple before they were listed were the two main reasons that I chose not to develop applications for the iphone. I also don't like the very communist idea that everyone should have the same phone. I have developed Palm OS, Windows Mobile and now Android applications. The great thing about developing for these platforms is that I get see may applications running on many different phones. With Apple it is only one or two phones. I only voice my complaints in hopes for improvement. In developing for many different mobile OS's, I could point out flaws in each platform. I try to be objective as possible, because I hate "fanboy" comments for any platform. I think the only way to be objective is to consider each platforms strengths and flaws and let them know in hopes for improvement.

Nevin
NevinM
Developer
Developer

Re: Android Market FACTS

Postby Openxcell » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:11 am

Thats great news, 30% is enough to get per app. I think, I have to think about developing global app market site. Thanks for sharing.
Openxcell
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Return to News & Rumors