Android-Market - a user-driven content distribution system

Supervised News & Rumors concerning the Google Android Platform.

Android-Market - a user-driven content distribution system

Postby plusminus » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:19 pm

Hello Community,

:!: All Applications you see there have been coded :!:
Image Image

Eric Chu wrote:When we talk to developers, a common topic is the challenge of getting applications in the hands of users. That's why today I'm happy to share early details of Android Market—an open content distribution system that will help end users find, purchase, download and install various types of content on their Android-powered devices. The concept is simple: leverage Google's expertise in infrastructure, search and relevance to connect users with content created by developers like you.

Developers will be able to make their content available on an open service hosted by Google that features a feedback and rating system similar to YouTube. We chose the term "market" rather than "store" because we feel that developers should have an open and unobstructed environment to make their content available. Similar to YouTube, content can debut in the marketplace after only three simple steps: register as a merchant, upload and describe your content and publish it. We also intend to provide developers with a useful dashboard and analytics to help drive their business and ultimately improve their offerings.

I also wanted to share some early details to help with planning your efforts so that you can be ready as our partners release the first Android-powered handsets. Developers can expect the first handsets to be enabled with a beta version of Android Market. Some decisions are still being made, but at a minimum you can expect support for free (unpaid) applications. Soon after launch an update will be provided that supports download of paid content and more features such as versioning, multiple device profile support, analytics, etc. Below are some screenshots that illustrate some of the security features and workflow.

With the addition of a marketplace, the Android ecosystem is becoming even more robust. I am incredibly energized by the support and amazing content I've seen so far. We will share more details as they are available and I look forward to working with many of you in the coming months.

Image Image

/plusminus for anddev.org
Image | Android Development Community / Tutorials
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ninor » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:57 pm

Edit:
[s]What do you mean by "coded"?[/s]

Oh, now I see what you mean:
14:08 plusminus_ the last screenshot shows a "Text 2 Speech Library"
14:08 romainguy_ ^^
14:09 plusminus_ is it a dummy?
14:10 romainguy_ no
14:10 plusminus_ wohoooooooo
14:10 chouman82 anyone know anything about the verifier on android?
14:10 romainguy_ all the applications you see on the screenshots are working apps that we wrote
14:13 plusminus_ romainguy_ how to interfere with the T2S-Lib ? Is there already sth in the new SDK (had no time to check it)
14:18 romainguy_ plusminus_: there's nothing of the sort in the SDK

Nice looking app, this Android Market. (some new restyling to the buttons, maybe?)

·
ninor

Best Market Place Ever

Postby tberthel » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:18 pm

I can't wait for it. I was thinking about how this will be for SlideMe and TrackDroid.

Well this could make up for the game, dev tool, and sdk mistakes.

Am I missing another market place?

ZeDev
SlideMe
TrackDroid
?
tberthel
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Site up yet?

Postby tberthel » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:00 am

Can people already upload apks to the market on the phone?

Is the PC website up yet to upload apks?

How did the Glu and others get in so early? Is it just a money thing for early access? If so how long will it last?
tberthel
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Re: Site up yet?

Postby plusminus » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:09 pm

tberthel wrote:Can people already upload apks to the market on the phone?

Is the PC website up yet to upload apks?

How did the Glu and others get in so early? Is it just a money thing for early access? If so how long will it last?

I've talked to Jason Chen (from the Android Team) and he said that the market will go live "around" the launch of the devices, what I interpret as "some days, maybe a week before".
At first developers can only upload free applications, later ones the user has to pay for + things like version management.

Regards,
plusminus
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby tberthel » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:09 pm

That's what I understood, but it seems that a few apps have been added that are not of Googles.

I was just making sure I wasn't being left behind to much. I guess I am a little nervous now that we are getting so close. I hope to have my game demos up as free apps on the first or second day at latest.

I guess that means around Oct 20ish instead of Nov 1st-ish and probably the latest.

I wonder who you need to know to get on as early as Glu has.

Thanks,

Travis
tberthel
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Postby plusminus » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:22 pm

Yeah at least there is nothing official. We'll never know what goes on behind the scenes.
But (most) apps will work on devices exactly as they did on the emulator, so a week or 2-3 days before device-launch should be enough to get your app up.

Regards,
plusminus
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby spirolateral » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:08 pm

plusminus wrote:Yeah at least there is nothing official. We'll never know what goes on behind the scenes.
But (most) apps will work on devices exactly as they did on the emulator, so a week or 2-3 days before device-launch should be enough to get your app up.

Regards,
plusminus

any news on when we can register as developers in the market and upload apps?
spirolateral
Developer
Developer

Postby cadlg » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:32 pm

next Monday, 2008-10-27.

Android Market: Now available for users

Regards,
cadlg
Experienced Developer
Experienced Developer

Return to News & Rumors