ADC application evaluation receipt

Supervised News & Rumors concerning the Google Android Platform.

ADC application evaluation receipt

Postby csagar » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:18 pm

Hi,
we submitted two applications for the challenge.At that time we had provided urls to our website where we have set up the flash demo of the app. To check whether ADC judges actually see our app we addedd a hit counter to the website. But there are no hits till now except the hits from us.The hit count of the page is same.Are those people not evaluating all the applications as there are totoal 1788 apps???

I have posted the same question to the google groups and sent a query to android-support email from which we got the 'Thank you your application received successfully ' mail.But again there is no reply . not even saying 'no way to know this' :[.......

Plusminus,if any one of you are in touch with ADC team members through ADC group/developer group/ or any other group please ask them ,is there any way to know whether our applications are being evaluated or not.

Please please please reply to this post if anyone has any useful/relevent info
csagar
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby res » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:59 pm

Their is no guarantee the judges will look at your external website.
res
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Postby Steel » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:03 am

I did a client-server app, but I haven't had time to add IP logging (+ resolve to location) yet, so I have no idea if they've tried it yet. :?
Steel
Developer
Developer

Re: ADC application evaluation receipt

Postby plusminus » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:44 pm

csagar wrote:...
Plusminus,if any one of you are in touch with ADC team members through ADC group/developer group/ or any other group please ask them ,is there any way to know whether our applications are being evaluated or not...

No I have no contact to any ADC-Judge, what also would not be fair :!:
I also really excited if my application is running on the Judges-Emulators as at least one anddev-member had a problem with running it.

The Judging-time is over soon... time to get excited :D

Regards,
plusminus
Image | Android Development Community / Tutorials
plusminus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Steel » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:59 pm

I noticed some barcodes of american and even german products were looked up on my server - so it seems they also have european judges :wink:
Steel
Developer
Developer

activity

Postby cybohemia » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:20 am

Hi.

My app has both a web component in the client app and a companion site.

I noticed activity on the client app but no direct visits to the companion site.

I guess they were not allowed (or at least not required) to do anything outside of the Android platform (like visiting web sites on computer browsers).

cyBohemia
cybohemia
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby Steel » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:16 am

I guess they were not allowed (or at least not required) to do anything outside of the Android platform (like visiting web sites on computer browsers).

... and that makes me worry about all applications submitted, which rely on an external TCP/HTTP camera. Because all the barcodes I received were manually entered - not scanned via. webcam.
A lot of good apps like Enkin, MoseyCode, Android Scan, LiveVision, etc. all rely on external cameras, since the emulator doesn't support using a webcam yet.
Steel
Developer
Developer

Postby cybohemia » Thu May 01, 2008 2:44 am

Hi, Steel.

When you say,

Steel wrote:... and that makes me worry about all applications submitted, which rely on an external TCP/HTTP camera. Because all the barcodes I received were manually entered - not scanned via. webcam.

do you mean client apps that use data from an external source, like a webcam via some protocol, would be a concern?

I don't think that would be a problem since the judges are looking at the client and the data source behind the client is transparent.

Or, maybe I'm not following what you're saying.

Well, in any case, my comment was purely speculative so I hope it's not causing any unnecessary worries - except for those relating to my abilities to speculate :D

cyBohemia
cybohemia
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby Steel » Thu May 01, 2008 3:09 am

Cybohemia, I'm talking about the applications where you need to start up a seperate program to stream the webcam images. Like mine, MoseyCode, Android Scan, Enkin, etc.

Because we need a seperate Java program to be running which uses Java Media Framework to transmit webcam pictures to our application.
Steel
Developer
Developer

Postby cybohemia » Thu May 01, 2008 3:25 am

Ahhhh, I see what you mean.

Did you try using a server to stream images? It may be canned but it simulates a real environment.
cybohemia
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby Steel » Thu May 01, 2008 6:49 am

Well, that might be okay for enkin - but for our barcode scanning apps, we really want the user to take something, and scan the barcode themselves. It's also okay for livevision, now that I think about it, because that app connects to webcams already installed, or so the demo suggested.
Steel
Developer
Developer

Postby cybohemia » Thu May 01, 2008 9:42 pm

You're right - it would be nice to have the user take a picture in your case. But, I guess in a demo where you don't know how much they'll be putting in, something is better than nothing.

In my case, I put in a radio button to allow the user to choose between the supplied camera device of a box floating over a checked background and my simulated camera, just to demonstrate the fact that things were hooked in on the backend even though it was not very useful without a more visually obvious example.

Oh, well - at this point, we'll have to see how rigorous they were in checking out the apps.
cybohemia
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Return to News & Rumors