WebServices, XMPP or something else?

Problems with WiFi, SQLite ,Bluetooth, WiMax, Proxies, etc...

WebServices, XMPP or something else?

Postby VIDEN » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:03 am

Hey,

I'm working on an BuildingAutomationControl Android App, that allows the user to see his Building and turn on and off lights, open windows, control the ventilation etc.
For doing so Android will get and set data points on a building automation station. This station is Linux based and runs a JVM and is connected to the local Ethernet, so it's similar to the Android platform.

My question is, what network protocol you would suggest for the communication between the two devices. All that I actually have to do is implement a getDatapointValue(datapointID) and setDatapointValue(value, datapointID) method.

The Automation station already has WebServices implemented so I will start off using these, but since ws aren't the best solution for a Mobile Device (as I read...) you might have a better idea....

Also, having a push functionality would be very nice.... for example, that if a light gets switched off manually the automation station will push a ValueChanged(datapointID) to the Android device. - With ws this is impossible...

Might XMPP be a good protocol for my need? - I haven't really found a lot of doc about it....
Any other ideas?

Greets David
VIDEN
Developer
Developer

Postby VIDEN » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:16 pm

anyone?

pls
VIDEN
Developer
Developer

Return to Networking & Database Problems