Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006661d/anddev/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1781
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1007: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1781)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1007: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1781)

Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006661d/anddev/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1781

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4362: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1781)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4364: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1781)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4365: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1781)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4366: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1781)
anddev.org • View topic - help with downloading file and saving it

help with downloading file and saving it

Problems with WiFi, SQLite ,Bluetooth, WiMax, Proxies, etc...

help with downloading file and saving it

Postby KanedaSyndrome » Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:13 pm

Hey +- and snow and any others I haven't met..

I am having a problem, been trying to couple the knowledge from this post and this.

My simple first approach was to try and download that sunny.gif as well as you did, what I want to do then is to save to the drive.

The code I have been jumbling with is this:

Code: Select all
try
       {
          URL myURL = new URL("http://www.google.com/images/weather/sunny.gif");
          URLConnection conn = myURL.openConnection();
          conn.connect();
          InputStream is = conn.getInputStream();
          FileOutputStream fOut = openFileOutput("sunny.gif", MODE_WORLD_READABLE);
          OutputStreamWriter osw = new OutputStreamWriter(fOut);

osw.write(is);
          osw.flush();
          osw.close();

}
       catch(Exception e)
       {
       }

I don't really understand all the concepts to the bottom, but I get an error with the osw.write, the error in the tooltip is:

"The method write(int) in the type OutputStreamWriter is not applicable for the arguments (InputStream)"

Hope you can help me out, since my ultimate goal is to have my app download a file from a server and then do stopwatch timer on the time it takes to get the file, since I need this time to calculate on connectivity and such.
KanedaSyndrome
Developer
Developer

Postby MrSnowflake » Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:52 pm

Don't know if the rest of you code is correct, but you should do something like: osw.write(is.readByte(...)); in a for loop until is is fully read.
MrSnowflake

Postby KanedaSyndrome » Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:57 pm

would that count for all file types? This particular thing is a .gif

Perhaps, if you have time and aren't too bothered, would you give a code example of how you would go about doing this? Something simple as getting a file from the net (any extension really), and then write it to the drive.

The thing is that I am not so solid in java and am not sure what needs to be done, if I need to load bytes into an array at a time or what not.
KanedaSyndrome
Developer
Developer

Postby KanedaSyndrome » Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:44 pm

would I have to first:

initialize the connection and open and load the url, which in this case is just a picture.

Then load it into a char[] array or something to hold the data?

And first then being able to write it to a file?

Am quite the noob in this particular area. Hope you can help.
KanedaSyndrome
Developer
Developer

Postby KanedaSyndrome » Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:17 pm

Tried messing around some code, but am really a noob in this area:

Code: Select all
try
       {
          URL myURL = new URL("http://www.google.com/images/weather/sunny.gif");
          URLConnection conn = myURL.openConnection();
          conn.connect();
          InputStream is = conn.getInputStream();
          FileOutputStream fOut = openFileOutput("sunny.gif", MODE_WORLD_READABLE);
          OutputStreamWriter osw = new OutputStreamWriter(fOut);

int ini = fOut; //make ini = byte size of file.. somehow.. 2 is just a placeholder

for(int i = ini; i >= 0; i--)
          {
          osw.write(is.read()); //confused about this.. :(
          }
          osw.flush();
          osw.close();
       //osw.write(is.readByte(...)); in a for loop until is is fully read.
       }
       catch(Exception e)
       {
       }

As you can see, encased it in a for loop, but need to know for how long it needs to run, and that I bet is dependant on the amount of bytes of the incoming file, if I am understanding this correctly..

But you need to dumb it a bit down for me, hope you can and are willing to help me. :/
KanedaSyndrome
Developer
Developer

Postby MrSnowflake » Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:28 pm

More like (pseudo code):
Syntax: [ Download ] [ Hide ]
Using java Syntax Highlighting
  2. byte[] buffer = new byte[1024];
  4. int read = 0;
  6. int lastRead = 0;
  8. while (read > 0) {
  10.   lastRead = is.read(read, buffer, 1024);