getting info from imdb via barcode?

Problems with WiFi, SQLite ,Bluetooth, WiMax, Proxies, etc...

getting info from imdb via barcode?

Postby fancyoso » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:37 pm

hi,
as a homework i am planning on creating an app which lets you manage your dvds.
we want to scan the barcode of the dvd and retrieve information from imdb so that we can create a library object with film title, director, a few actors and so on.

i know java and i know a little about android (probably more in the next weeks).

is it legal to use imdb? its gonna be non-profit, if it ever sees the appstore (since its just a homework)
can anybody suggest a API or another way to use a barcodescanner? (we dont wanna create our own)
also: what is the easiest way to get information from imdb? i guess its not as easy as working with googlemaps... (sending and retrieving information).
fancyoso
Once Poster
Once Poster

Re: getting info from imdb via barcode?

Postby inmyth » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:19 pm

Here is the rest api for Imdb: http://imdbapi.com/ which takes either some special imdb movie code or movie title as request parameter and returns an xml or json. For barcode scanner, use zxing.
Your problem is probably this: scanning barcode (UPC/EAN not QR) yields only numbers. So you have to find a way, possibly another online database, that converts these numbers into one of above parameters. You may want to ask this guy how he gets his barcode data: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h05KrEjHW6g
inmyth
Freshman
Freshman

Postby Thomassunshine » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:05 am

If you want to scan barcode , you can try Barcode Reader for .NET.
It scans, reads various linear & 2D barcode images, including ISO / IEC specified barcodes like Code 39 & Code 39 Extension, Code 128; GS1 specified linear barcodes like EAN-8 & EAN-13, UPC-A & UPC-E, as well as Interleaved 2 of 5, Codabar, and 2D barcodes Data Matrix, QR Code, PDF-417. Supported image formats include Gif, Png, Jpeg/Jpg, Tiff and.NET image objects.
Thomassunshine
Freshman
Freshman

Postby davide33 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:40 am

It is very easy to find barcode readers though Google. In which platform would you like to read barcode, Java or .NET? If you want to read barcode in Java, you can put "Java barcode reader" in Google and a lot of info appear. If you want to read barcode in .NET, you can put ".NET barcode reader" in Google and also you can see a lot of related info. Then choose a free one.
davide33
Once Poster
Once Poster

Postby cindy313 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:26 am

have you searched on the internet? there are many resources about barcode reader, at the meantime you can also find the java barcode reader
cindy313
Freshman
Freshman

Return to Networking & Database Problems