Database security

Problems with WiFi, SQLite ,Bluetooth, WiMax, Proxies, etc...

Database security

Postby cyberbandya » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:42 pm

Hi all,

I am new to android.
I am studying SQLite in android. I have 2 questions.

1) How to set the usename and password to the database created in my application?

2) Is there any security mechanisms, which can ensure that my database is not accessed by other applications?

Thanx in advance.

Regards,
cyberbandya
Regards,
cyberbandya ;)
cyberbandya
Freshman
Freshman

Postby nmc » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:21 pm

1) How to set the usename and password to the database created in my application?

SQlite doesnt support this.

2) Is there any security mechanisms, which can ensure that my database is not accessed by other applications?

Use the db inside your package folder; android prevents other apps to open files from that folder(-structure)
nmc
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Postby cyberbandya » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:47 am

Thanx nmc. :)

To verify your second answer, i made two applications with same folder structure (package structure viz 'com.al.db'). Both applications can access the database named "books" that i have created. I dont want this. If anyone created the database, no any other application should be able to access the database. Can i achieve that?

I also have one more query.

If some one moved database file from my folder structure and kept it in his folder structure, he also can make use of it. How can we avoid that?
Regards,
cyberbandya ;)
cyberbandya
Freshman
Freshman

Postby padde » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:07 am

What kind of data you are about to store in the Database?! Names of double agents or some other top secret government stuff?

If security is that much important encode the content in some sort of way.. or use a remote database that fits your
security needs.
padde
Master Developer
Master Developer

Return to Networking & Database Problems