Capture Network Traffic

Problems with WiFi, SQLite ,Bluetooth, WiMax, Proxies, etc...

Capture Network Traffic

Postby marchueff » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:15 am

Hi,
i want to write an app for analyzing/parsing of video streams (exactly: h264 streams). So, i need to capture this traffic. My first idea was to use sockets, but RTSP source port is randomly chosen. Because of that i dont know which port to bind a socket. Next idea was to port the libpcap-library to Android and use JNI. I was realy happy when i found a tutorial at http://davanum.wordpress.com/2007/12/09 ... -and-java/. But it seems as JNI is not any more supported in Android SDK 1.0. If anybody knows how to capture network traffic or got some good ideas how to solve my problem please let me know.

Many thank in advance

Greets Marc
marchueff
Once Poster
Once Poster

Postby miserlou » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:02 am

I am extremely interested in this problem as well and would be very interested in collaborating.

I tried to solve this by porting JSocket Wrench, http://jswrench.sourceforge.net/ , which has a TCP and UDP sniffer (although I was only actually trying to port the Traceroute class).

Anyway, I wasn't successful porting it but I will admit that I didn't try very hard, I just don't have all that much free time right now.

The porting wasn't successful because of an UnsatisfiedLinkError, which I've never seen before. Apparently, there is no native implementation of _socket in Android. Not sure what to do about that.

Thoughts, anybody?
miserlou
Freshman
Freshman

Postby MrSnowflake » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:52 am

Can't you implement your own client? And 'resend' that data again to the mediaplayer from an on device server?
MrSnowflake

Postby miserlou » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:30 pm

Is such a sniffer even feasible without root access?
miserlou
Freshman
Freshman

Return to Networking & Database Problems