Using Canon H.264 MOV files in Sony Vegas Pro smoothly

Put problems with the Android NDK in this forum.

Using Canon H.264 MOV files in Sony Vegas Pro smoothly

Postby lydia622520 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:17 am

Summary: This article will show the best way to convert Canon H.264 MOV to MPEG-2, so that you can import Canon .MOV files into Sony Vegas Pro for smooth editing work.

Canon cameras- 5D mark III, 7D, 10D, 60D, T2i, T5i, etc are familiar with everyone whoever has passion for Canon EOS Digital DSLR. The point here, you will find it a painful experience to import and edit Canon H.264 MOV with Sony Vegas Pro software. There’re some frequently asked questions quoted as below.

Q 1: Importing .MOV files into Sony Vegas from Canon 600D

I'm planning to purchase a Canon 600D for YouTube videos, however I found out the only file format it records in is .MOV much like the iPhone recordings, previously I've had to convert these to .wmv to get them to work in Sony Vegas Pro, but it loses the video quality. Is there anything I can do to be able to import the the files into Vegas without any problems without an error message? Or is there a way of converting the file but keeping the majority of the quality?

Q 2: How to convert each separate MOV clip from 5D Mark II to Vegas Pro

Something is odd about these .MOV files from canon (my camera is 5D Mark II). The problem is documented on internet but I have not found any solution except to convert each separate clip and then I can use them with Vegas Pro editing software. How can I “batch” convert them?

As you know Canon EOS DSLR records MOV videos, but it seems Sony Vegas Pro (including the recent Vegas Pro 12) does not like the way. The file type is a compressed output format, but not ideal for editing in NLE system. To solve those problems, the quick workaround is to transcode MOV files to Vegas Pro natively supported formats (MPG/WMV are highly recommended). Along with some help from third-party software, it can be done effortlessly. Here I share a simple guide on how to convert Canon H.264 MOV files for Sony Vegas Pro editing smoothly. If you’re facing the issues, read on to find the answer.

ownloading the App- Brorsoft Video Converter

Overall, the program is the best Video Converter for Canon MOV footage. With this Canon MOV converter, you can effortlessly transcode Canon MOV files to MPEG-2 or WMV, which will create a Sony Vegas Pro friendly file format keeping the original quality. Besides Vegas, this software can also export DNxHD for Avid, MPEG-2 for Adobe Premiere Pro, Premiere Element, AVI for Pinnacle Studio, WMV to Windows Movie Maker and more NLE systems for native editing. Just download it and follow the tutorial below to get the work done.

Convert/Import Canon MOV clips to Vegas Pro

Step 1: Add Canon MOV video files

Install and launch the Canon MOV converter and load source MOV clips to it. You can batch convert multiple .mov clips as you want.

Step 2: Choose output format

Click “Format” pull down list to select Adobe Premiere/Sony Vegas> MPEG-2(*.mpg) as the best video format for Sony Vegas Pro. WMV formats is the good choice as well.

Tip - Profile Settings:
In case the default settings do not fit your requirement, you can click “Settings” button and enter “Profile Settings” panel to adjust video size, bit rate, frame rate, sample rate and audio channels.

Step 3: Start Canon MOV video conversion

Click “Convert” button to start encoding Canon H.264 MOV video to MPG/WMV for importing to Sony Vegas Pro 8/9/10/11/12. When the conversion task is finished, click “Open” button to get the exported files and then import the converted Canon MOV files into Vegas Pro to do further editing without any issue.

Related Guides and Tips:

Transcode Canon T5i MOV for editing in iMovie/FCE
Transcode Canon EOS 6D H.264 MOV to AIC for iMovie
How to upload Canon Rebel T3i/T5i videos to Windows Movie Maker
Canon Legria HF G25 AVCHD compatibility with iMovie
Transcoding some Canon 5D Mark III footage to MPEG-2 for Vegas Pro
Trouble Importing on Canon 7D/60D/70D and Premiere Pro
Source:Using Canon H.264 MOV files in Sony Vegas Pro smoothly
lydia622520
Master Developer
Master Developer

Re: Using Canon H.264 MOV files in Sony Vegas Pro smoothly

Postby jacknjchn » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:52 am

Canon EOS 7D 18.0 Megapixels CMOS Digital SLR Camera

The new Canon EOS 7D is Canon’s top APS-C SLR. Upgraded to a full 18.0 megapixels. The new HD movie mode can shoot Full 1080p HD Video at faster frame rates 1080p @30fps, 24fps and 720p @60fps and with manual exposure control. HDMI port to hookup to an HDTV. External Microphone Jack. Includes many features formerly reserved for Canon’s top SLRs. Large high resolution 3-inch LCD screen (920,000 pixels).

Canon EOS 60D Digital SLR Camera (18.0 Megapixels)

The Canon EOS 60D is Canon’s mid-range APS-C SLR. Upgraded from the 50D to a full 18.0 megapixels. The 60D adds a new HD movie mode which can shoot Full 1080p HD Video at popular frame rates 1080p @30fps, 24fps and 720p @60fps and with manual exposure control. The 60d includes an HDMI port to hookup to an HDTV and an External Microphone Jack for better sound. Also new is manual audio control.Includes many features formerly reserved for Canon’s top SLRs. The 60d gets a new high resolution articulating 3-inch LCD screen (1,040,000 pixels).

Canon EOS 70D Dual Pixel CMOS AF DSLR Camera

The Canon EOS 70D is Canon’s Best mid-range APS-C SLR. Upgraded from the 60D to a full 20.2 megapixels. It shares many of the features from the Canon 5D Mark III, but at a lower cost and weight. This is the first Canon DSLR to introduce the new Dual Pixel CMOS AF technology that greatly enhances autofocus capabilities, especially when filming video. The 70D HD movie mode shoots at Full 1080p HD Video at popular frame rates 1080p @30fps, 24fps and 720p @60fps and with manual exposure control. The 70d includes an HDMI port to hookup to an HDTV and an External Microphone Jack for better sound options with manual audio control. The 70d gets a new high resolution articulating 3-inch LCD touchscreen (1,040,000 pixels).

Well, Canon EOS 7D/60D/70D videos are saved in 1080p .mov format with H.264 codec, but this MOV video format came from EOS 7D/60D/70D is a FULL HD format that is highly compressed, so we can not easily and directly import and edit Canon 7D/60D/70D HD mov files on Mac with Premiere Pro.

Actually, convert Canon 7D/60D/70D H.264 MOV to MPEG-2 is easy, you just need to free download the7D/60D/70D h.264 mov Converter for Sony Vegas. It can not only transcode Canon EOS 7D/60D/70D H.264 MOV to suitable video format for Vegas Pro, but also do some little editing some simple editing features, such as merging several videos into one file, deinterlacing the original footages, cropping video size, trimming video clips, adding special effects and text/image/video watermarks to output videos, thus it will be on the top of your list.

Preparation: Connect your Canon EOS to your iMac/Macbook with a USB cable or read the Canon 7D/60D/70D H.264 MOV videos via a SDXC card reader. In both ways you can import to the hard drive.

Step 1. Load H.264 MOV videos into Brorsoft EOS 7D/60D/70D Converter.

Drag and drop target H.264 MOV video files from hard drive to this program or click the “Add” button on the top menu in the software interface to import video files. Batch video files are also allowed to upload with a list showed in the imported field. In addition, merging two or more video clips into a big one can be realized by ticking the “Merge into one file “checkbox.

Step 2 Choose MPEG-2 as the output format
Select the video files which are going to be converted and click the “Format” box. Then choose ‘’Adobe Premiere/Sony Vegas” section. In this section, choose”MPEG-2 (*.mpg)” as output format from its drop-list. Specified the destination folder where the output video files belong by clicking the ”Output” button.

Step 3 Set video and audio parameters for Adobe Premiere Pro
Click the “Settings” button so that you are able to custom several parameters. You should adjust size, bitrates and frame rate catering for Adobe Premiere Elements. In this way, you can avoid suffering degraded video quality.

Step 4 Start the conversion from EOS 7D/60D/70D H.264 MOV to MPEG-2 for Adobe Premiere Pro on Mac.
Click the “Convert” button under the preview window and Canon EOS 7D/60D/70D H.264 MOV Converter will finish this conversion process at a high speed.

More Topics:
Converting MTS to use in Adobe Premiere Pro on Mac
Sony handycam video files transferred to fcp/imovie/premiere/avid mc
Avid MXF to FCP - Can FCP import Avid MXF Files on Mac
What if Sony XDCAM AMA Plugin not available for Avid MC7
JVC Everio MTS files and iMovie/FCE/FCP/Avid MC/Premiere Workflow
Microsoft Surface RT vs Surface 2
jacknjchn
Master Developer
Master Developer

Return to NDK Problems