Sony PMW-320 MXF Editing with Final Cut Pro 6/7/X

Put problems with the Android NDK in this forum.

Sony PMW-320 MXF Editing with Final Cut Pro 6/7/X

Postby lydia622520 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:48 am

Summary: If you have any problem when importing and editing Sony PMW-320 MXF recordings in Final Cut Pro 6/7 or FCP X, you can just follow this tutorial to transcode MXF to ProRes 422 MOV for FCP.

The PMW-320 is one hot model in the SONY XDCAM EX line up. It’s very much like the PMW-350, the principle difference is the sensor size. Similar to the PMW-350, the PMW-320 supports multiple frame rate recording such as 60i, 50i, and native 23.98P and 25P as well as being 1080i/720P switchable. Apart from its crystal clear pictures, I was a bit disappointed after loading some footage from the PMW 320 to my Mac tool FCP 7 for editing. I have to face the problem that Final Cut Pro does not recognize the .mxf videos. Even if I can import MXF videos to FCP X, it will take much time for rendering, because the MXF is not an ideal format for FCP editing.

Well, luckily enough, I’ve figured out a workaround. To make it easier for importing Sony PMW 320 MXF into FCP 6/7/X, we may need to convert the XDCAM files to Apple ProRes .mov for Final Cut Pro. I applied Brorsoft MXF to ProRes Converter, which was a great Sony MXF converter for all Mac users(Mac OS X 10.5, 10.6, 10.7, 10.8.) I expect and demand the files to look as good as from the original files. The conversion quality was great! They were all that- and the conversion moved at a very impressive rate. Very clean, very quick, very impressive.

How to transcode Sony PMW-320 MXF files to ProRes 422 MOV for FCP 6/7/X

Step 1: Download, install and run Sony MXF Video Converter for Mac from Brorsoft. Click the “Add” button to import .mxf files from the Sony PMW-320 camcorder. You can backup your recordings on hard drive first if necessary.

Step 2: Click the format bar and you will find an option menu on the interface. Find Final Cut Pro option, and click to choose Apple ProRes 422 (*.MOV) as the output format.

Aside Note: For FCP 6, you can only choose ProRes 422 and ProRes 422(HQ) as the export format; while, for FCP 7 and FCP X, Pro Res 422(LT)/Pro Res 444/Pro Res 422(Proxy) are all supported.

Tip: You can click the Setting icon to do some audio/video settings as you need. You can set the video size as 1920*1080 or just keep the original and set frame rate as 30fps(25fps for PAL) to get a perfect output video.

Step 3: Hit convert button to start converting Sony MXF to MOV, which optimizes Final Cut Pro workflow for editing with no rendering.

After conversion, just import the output Apple PreRes 422 .mov files to Final Cut Pro for editing. You will have a smooth PMW-320 in Final Cut Pro editing process.

See also:
Transcode Sony XDCAM EX PMW-350 MXF files to MOV for FCP
Import Sony XDCAM/XDCAM HD/XDCAM EX MXF files to FCP
Import Sony F65 MXF to Premiere Pro CS6 Mac
Sony XDCAM (MXF files) to Windows Movie Maker
Transfer Sony PMW-EX1 XDCAM EX MXF to FCP
Source:Fast solve Sony PMW-320 MXF and FCP incompatible issues
lydia622520
Master Developer
Master Developer

Re: Sony PMW-320 MXF Editing with Final Cut Pro 6/7/X

Postby jacknjchn » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:01 am

Summary: If you have problems for importing and editing Sony PMW-320 MXF clips in iMovie 8/9/11, you can follow this simple tutorial to transcode MXF files to AIC MOV for iMovie.

Have you ever met similiar issues when importing MXF files from Sony PMW-320 to iMovie (8,9,11 included):

I bought a Sony PMW 320 in May 2012 and was pleased with it. I have used it many times on lives for BBC News and recently I’m using it filming weddings for my friends. To meet my friend’s need, I tried to edit the recording on my friend’s computer. He is using a MacBook Pro and 24″ Apple screen running 10.6 and has iMovie 11 installed. However, it’s a bit hard to import and edit Sony PMW-320 MXF in iMovie as I really met.

The problems lie in that iMovie cannot support the original MXF footages from PMW-320. It is a common sense that the most compatible format for iMovie 8/9/11 is Apple Intermediate Codec(AIC)(*.mov). So to get your Sony PMW-320 MXF files and iMovie to play nicely, the best solution is to transcode those MXF to AIC MOV videos. To get the work done, you can get some help from third-party softwares. Here Brorsoft MXF Converter for Mac is the application I used to transfer these recordings for iMovie 11 on Mac OS X. It’s complete and well designed software and offers the preset profiles AIC .mov for iMovie/Final Cut Express exactly fit what I need. It couldn't have been more flawless during the conversion! The clips converted and the quality of the conversion was as expected, even quality loss. If you are now aslo troubled by the similar issues go through the below guide.

Steps for convert Sony PMW-320 MXF clips to iMovie 8/9/11.

Step 1. Install the yet professional Sony MXF to MOV Converter Mac on computer, and run it to import Sony PMW-320 1080/60i or 1080/24p MXF footages to it. Tip: If you want to combine the files together, please tick the box "Merge into one" box.

Step 2. Click the Format box and select best output format on the dropdown list. iMovie and Final Cut Express > Apple Intermediate Codec(AIC) (*.mov) is the target format.

Step 3. Tap the "Settings" icon on the main interface and it’s better to set the video size as 1920*1080, video frame rate as 30fps(or 25fps PAL) for importing Sony PMW-320 MXF to iMovie with the best quality.

Step 4. Click the convert button to start converting/deinterlace Sony PMW-320 MXF clips to AIC video immediately.

When you get the output files after the conversion, transfer the converted MXF files to iMovie for editing on Mac would be easy work anyhow.

PS: You can learn more solutions to importing & editing Sony MXF for Sony PMW-350K, PMW-EX3, PMW-F3L, PMW-F3K, PMW-100, etc MXF camcorders from Brorsoft MXF column.

Related guides:
Transcode Sony XDCAM EX PMW-350 MXF files to MOV for FCP
Import Sony XDCAM/XDCAM HD/XDCAM EX MXF files to FCP
Import Sony F65 MXF to Premiere Pro CS6 Mac
Sony XDCAM (MXF files) to Windows Movie Maker
Transfer Sony PMW-EX1 XDCAM EX MXF to FCP
Source:Transcode Sony PMW-320 MXF to AIC MOV for iMovie
How to transfer and add avi files to Asus Transformer Prime/Infinity TF700
Samsung Galaxy S4 vs. HTC One, Xperia Z and Optimus G Pro
jacknjchn
Master Developer
Master Developer