Importing M2TS files into Adobe Premiere Pro CS6/CC7

Put problems with the Android NDK in this forum.

Importing M2TS files into Adobe Premiere Pro CS6/CC7

Postby lydia622520 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:28 am

Summary: With this guide, you can smoothly import and edit M2TS files in Adobe Premiere Pro(CS3/CS4/CS5/CS6/CC7) by transcoding/converting AVCHD (.m2ts)to Premiere Pro compatible WMV or MPEG-2 video.

Source:Solution to Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 no audios from M2TS files

Nowadays, M2TS video is familiar to us, which has now widely used by HD camcorders, another extent of MTS files. The point here, you will find it a painful experience to import and edit M2TS files into Adobe Premiere Pro software. There’re some frequently asked questions quoted as below.

Q1: File Format Not Supported
“I’ve read everywhere here that as long as you have CS4, your .m2ts files should import fine in Premiere Pro. I have CS4 and the files won't import. it gives me an error saying "File Format Not Supported", and it's not what other people are doing probably. everyone else is probably importing from their camera. I have the file literally on my desktop right now. it's a .m2ts file. i can't get it in premiere at all. i'm running CS4 on OS X.”

Q2: No recognized audio in .M2TS files
“I've seen a couple of different threads about this issue that have said the same thing but all have referenced AVCHD from various Sony Cameras. In my case my footage is from HDPVR. Why the capture device would matter doesn't make any sense to me but regardless Premiere Pro CS6 doesn't just not import the audio... it doesn't recognize it at all. There is no mention of audio at all when looking at the properties.”

As far as I know Adobe Premiere Pro(including the recent Premier Pro CS6, CC7) does not like the way in .M2TS. The file type is a compressed output format, but not ideal for editing in NLE system. To solve those problems, the quick workaround is to transcode M2TS files to Premiere Pro natively supported formats (MPG/WMV/MOV are highly recommended). Along with some help from third-party software, it can be done effortlessly. Here I share a simple guide on how to convert M2TS files for Adobe Premier Pro editing smoothly. If you’re facing the issues, read on to find the answer.

Downloading the App- Brorsoft MTS/M2TS Converter for Mac

Overall, the program is the best M2TS converter. With it, you can effortlessly transcode AVCHD MTS/M2TS to MPEG-2 or MOV, which will create an Adobe Premiere friendly file format keeping the original quality. Besides Premiere, this software can also export DNxHD for Avid, MPEG-2 Premiere Element, Apple ProRes for Final Cut Pro, Apple InterMediate Codec for iMovie and more NLE systems for native editing. For Windows users, MTS/M2TS Converter is the alternative choice. Just download it and follow the tutorial below to get the work done.

Convert/Import M2TS video clips to Premiere Pro

Step 1: Add M2TS video files

Install and launch the M2TS video converter and load source clips to it.

Step 2: Choose output format

Click “Format” pull down list to select Adobe Premiere/Sony Vegas> MPEG-2(*.mpg) as the best video format for Premiere Pro. WMV, MOV formats are the good choice as well.

Tip - Profile Settings:
In case the default settings do not fit your requirement, you can click “Settings” button and enter “Profile Settings” panel to adjust video size, bit rate, frame rate, sample rate and audio channels.

Step 3: Start M2TS conversion

Click “Convert” button to start transcoding M2TS video to MPG/MOV/WMV for importing to Premiere Pro CS4/CS5/CS6/CC7. When the conversion task is finished, click “Open” button to get the exported files and then import the converted M2TS files into Adobe Premiere Pro to do further editing.

Related Guides and Tips:

How to covnert, edit and join 3D MTS files
How to Convert MTS to MP4
Editing AVCHD (.mts/.m2ts) footage in Premiere Pro
How to import Canon XF300 MXF footage to Final Cut Pro X
How to Convert & Play Blu-ray/DVD movies on Surface Pro
How to Get Windows Movie Maker recognize my MP4 movies
Rip and Convert Blu-ray and DVD discs to Windows 8 OS
Top 5 Blu-ray Ripping Programs Ranking and Review
Importing GoPro HD Hero2/Hero3 video to Sony Vegas Pro
Convert MP4 videos(including mpeg-4 and h.264) to WMV for WMM
lydia622520