How to fix M2TS files crashing issue in Sony Vegas

Put problems with the Android NDK in this forum.

How to fix M2TS files crashing issue in Sony Vegas

Postby lydia622520 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:42 am

Summary: Having issues when importing and editing M2TS files in Sony Vegas? Get the quick solution below by converting M2TS video into Sony Vegas most compatible format.

You may collect a pile of M2TS videos from a capture device, for example the Roxio Game Capture HD Pro, or a Panasonic, Canon, Sony full HD AVCHD camcorder. When you import & edit the M2TS files in Sony Vegas Pro, ever met any trouble? Most guys have a painful experience. There are some frequently asked questions quoted as below.

Q1: Can’t load M2TS to Sony Vegas
Well i got a huge predicament, with my older capture card that i used to have was the "Roxio HD pro" that i recorded my first 30 or so video's, it recorded the file type into a M2TS format. Which does not load up into vegas. Any quick solution?

Q2: Sony Vegas freezes when importing M2TS
I have been using this file type since Vegas 9. They come from 3 different Panasonic cams and are 1080 / 50p. Sometimes Vegas freezes when importing the 1st file, other times it lets me do that but freezes when I try to add a 2nd file. Happens with files from all 3 cams.

As you know M2TS files are widely used in a capture device or a full HD cam, but it seems Sony Vegas (including the recent Vegas Pro 12) does not like the way. The file type is a compressed output format, but not ideal for editing in NLE system. To solve those problems, the quick workaround is to transcode M2TS files to Sony Vegas natively supported formats (MPG/MOV are highly recommended). Along with some help from third-party software, it can be done effortlessly. Here I share a simple guide on how to convert M2TS files for Sony Vegas editing smoothly. If you’re facing the issues, read on to find the answer.

Downloading the App- Brorsoft MTS/M2TS Converter

As far as I know the program is one of the best M2TS converter on the market. With it, you can effortlessly transcode M2TS files to MPEG-2 or MOV, which will create an Sony Vegas friendly file format keeping the original quality. Besides Premiere, this software can also export DNxHD for Avid, MPEG-2 for Adobe Premiere Pro/Premiere Element, AVI for Pinnacle Studio and more NLE systems for native editing.

Convert M2TS files to Sony Vegas Pro

Step 1: Add M2TS video files

Install and launch the M2TS to Sony Vegas converter then load source .m2ts clips to it.

Step 2: Choose output format

Click “Format” pull down list to select Adobe Premiere/Sony Vegas> MPEG-2(*.mpg) as the best video format for Sony Vegas. MOV, WMV are also the proper choice.

Tip - Profile Settings:
In case the default settings do not fit your requirement, you can click “Settings” button and enter “Profile Settings” panel to adjust video size, bit rate, frame rate, sample rate and audio channels.

Step 3: Start M2TS video conversion

Click “Convert” button to start encoding M2TS video to MPG/MOV for importing to Sony Vegas Pro 9/10/11/12. When the conversion task is finished, click “Open” button to get the exported files and then import the converted M2TS footage into Sony Vegas Pro to do further editing.

Related Guides and Tips:

Import Canon XA10 AVCHD footage to Vegas Pro
How to Import M2TS to Vegas Pro 10/11/12
Sony DSC-RX100 Workflow: Final Cut Pro, Avid, Premiere
Does iMovie 11 support Canon XA20 AVCHD footage?
How to import video from D4/D5100/D3200 to Premiere Pro
Backup DVD without quality loss on Mac
Source:Easy way to open M2TS files in Sony Vegas Pro
lydia622520
Master Developer
Master Developer

Re: How to fix M2TS files crashing issue in Sony Vegas

Postby jacknjchn » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:54 am

Summary: Facing the problem importing M2TS files in Final Cut Pro, you can fix the issues via transcoding your M2TS video to FCP compatible format first.

I have M2TS files from Sony Handy Cam to MacBook Pro, when import the file to Final Cut Pro, just show "unkonw the file". In fact, Final Cut Pro 6/7/X have add the AVCHD .mts, .m2ts formats as the input video, but there are so many limits you are facing like, system requirements, video frame rate (as I know FCP still can’t handle 1080 60p footage well), whole AVCHD structure(FCP can't recognize single MTS/M2TS video). So if you want to edit your M2TS files with Final Cut Pro smoothly, you will need to transcode the .m2ts files to FCP supported format, Apple ProRes.

Now I share the guide with you how to convert M2TS footage to Final Cut Pro friendly format using Brorsoft MTS/M2TS Converter for Mac. With it, you can effortlessly encode/re-encode single M2TS footage shot by Canon, JVC, Sony, Panasonic etc. cameras for smoothly importing and editing in various non-linear editing systems (NLE), including Adobe Premiere Pro, iMovie, Avid Media Composer, Final Cut Express and more. Now, follow the instruction how to import M2TS files into Final Cut Pro.

1. Download, install and run the MTS to FCP Converter; click "Add Videos" icon to load your source .m2ts videos.

2. Click the format bar, and move mouse cursor to "Final Cut Pro > Apple ProRes 422 (*.mov)" as output format.

Some more helpful features of the app:

a. Settings- click to set video resolution(1920×1080/1440×1080/1280×720/720×480), bitrate(from 1Mbps to 20Mbps), frame rate (24p/30p)

b. Editor (next to "Add" icon)- click to set deinterlace, trim, crop, watermark, subtitles, etc.

3. Click "Convert" button to start M2TS to ProRes 422 MOV conversion on Mac OS X.

As soon as the encoding process finished, you can get the final output Apple ProRes files via clicking "Open" button effortlessly. The transcoded files now are ready for editing in Final Cut Pro (X).

Launch FCP, choose File > Import > Files… and choose the videos that you'd like to add for editing.

More Topics:
Easy way to open M2TS files in Sony Vegas Pro
Sony handycam video files transferred to fcp/imovie/premiere/avid mc
Import Sony Handycam to Mac Adobe Premiere Pro and Avid MC
Sony PMW-EX1/EX3 XDCAM EX to Premiere Pro Workflow
How to import videos from Sony A58 to iMovie
How to Convert and Play DVDs on Galaxy Note 3
jacknjchn
Master Developer
Master Developer

Return to NDK Problems