Summary: Want to edit Nikon D3100 footage in Final Cut Pro- As the H.264 MOV files from D3100 is not ideal for FCP editing, you can get the alternative way to import Nikon D3100 video to FCP by converting Nikon H.264 MOV to ProRes 422, the format for FCP.
As a Nikon D3100 owner, did you ever tried to import Nikon D3100 .mov files into Final Cut Pro for editing. But Final Cut Pro 6/7 and FCP X can not handle the H.264 MOV files natively. To solve the problem, you have to convert D3100 video to FCP format- ProRes 422 on Mac OS X. Well, here is the quick guide about how to transcode Nikon H.264 files to Final Cut Pro most compatible format Apple ProRes 422 in high quality by a professional Nikon Video converter.
Overall, Brorsoft H.264 MOV Converter for Mac, as one of the best Video converter for Nikon files, it can aid you to convert H.264 .mov recordings to FCP as well as Avid, iMovie, FCE, Adobe Premiere most compatible format ProRes, DNxHD, AIC, MPEG-2. It enables you to have smooth editing on all the NLS system editing programs. Follow the guide below to achieve your goal smoothly.
1. Download, install and run the Nikon Video Converter for Mac. Import Nikon D3100 footage to the converter.
Tip: You can merge MOV clips into one file by checking the “Merge into one” box.
2. Click format bar to choose the output format. Click and choose Final Cut Pro -> Apple ProRes 422 (*.mov).
3. You can click “settings” to customize the output parameters, adjust the resolution, bitrate as you want.
4. Click convert button to start transcoding Nikon H.264 video to ProRes 422 for Final Cut Pro 6/7/X.
NOTE: The FCP X does not install the ProApps QuickTime Codecs automatically, so you need download and install the codec manually from here.
5. Import the converted Nikon MOV files to FCP project. Launch the Final Cut Pro, choose from File menu > Import > Files…
With this Nikon D3100 1080P H.264 MOV to Apple ProRes 422 converter, you can easily convert Nikon D3100 files to FCP X/6/7 best codec, and then you can import the footages to FCP for editing on Mac, please take a free try, hope this software can help you.
Import Nikon D5200 H.264 MOV files to FCP X
Transcode Nikon D5200 H.264 MOV to iMovie
Best DVD Converter Apps for Android Review 2013
Effortlessly Edit Sony CX760V mts files in Avid Media Composer
Alternative Way For Nikon D800 Import Plugin for Final Cut 7
Source:How to convert video from Nikon D3100 to Final Cut Pro 7