why separate a codec's source into two parts?

All your problems with Audio, Video and Images.

why separate a codec's source into two parts?

Postby LINGYI » Tue May 25, 2010 10:19 am

QUESTION: why separate the source code of a codec into two parts in opencore?

hi, all!
i'm now trying to integrate new codecs into opencore for android. there is some problems which puzzle me for the whole day.

take mp3 for example, some part of the source code is placed under directory .../codecs_v2/audio/mp3/dec, which would be compiled into a static library libpvmp3.a; the other part of source code is placed under directory .../codecs_v2/omx/omx_mp3, which would be compiled into a dynamic library libomx_mp3_component_lib.so.

and finally, according to the makefile .../build_config/opencore_dynamic/android_omx_mp3dec_sharedlibrary.mk, it would integrate the two library, libpvmp3.a and libomx_mp3_component_lib.so into one dynamic library: libomx_mp3dec_sharedlibrary.so, which would be found under /system/lib/ direcroty in a real device or an emulator.

my questions are:
[1] why lay the codec's source code under two plaeces? and any guide line for the separation?

[2] to integrate a new codec into opencore, can i put the whole source code into a directory, and then finish the other registrations? any tips for this?

thanks in advance!!!
LINGYI
Freshman
Freshman

Re: why separate a codec's source into two parts?

Postby LINGYI » Tue May 25, 2010 1:11 pm

i think i got the answer.
exactly libpvmp3.a is the real codec for mp3, and libomx_mp3_component_lib.so is just a wrapper for the codec.

but why separating the source code into two parts? from the software architecture designer's perspective, it's more clear to distinguish the real codec and the omx wrapper.

welcome your opinions :mrgreen:
LINGYI
Freshman
Freshman

Return to Multimedia Problems