What's the best codec for Sony HandyCam MTS files on Windows

All your problems with Audio, Video and Images.

What's the best codec for Sony HandyCam MTS files on Windows

Postby vivian68 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:14 pm

Edit Sony HandyCam MTS files in Windows Movie Maker

Summary:This article tell you how to edit Sony HandyCam MTS files in Windows Movie Maker and play in Windows Media Player with best codec.

Several days ago one of my friends asked me how to edit Sony HandyCam MTS files in Windows Movie Maker and play in Windows Media Player, after several hours’ work, I succeed to solve his problem, and today I want to share the method with all of you. Below is his problems.

“I have a bunch of MTS video files from a Sony HandyCam. I'm running Vista 64....and for the life of me, I can't find a compatible codec so that I can edit the video files. I can view Sony HandyCam MTS videos in Windows Media Player Ver 11.0 ...but it warns me that I don't have the right codec loaded. None-the-less, I can still see the clips. When I go to Windows Movie Maker Ver 6.0, it tells me I need a codec for the Sony HandyCam MTS files. I'm trying to edit the clips together to make a movie...and so far, have had zip success.
I haven't been able to find a source for an Sony HandyCam MTS codec compatible with Vista 64. I've loaded about 6 codecs...and they all fail during installation, probably because I'm running a 64 bit version of Vista. Second question, do you need a different codec to edit Sony HandyCam MTS films versus watch them? Some sights have two codecs, one for watching, one for editting. Why's that?”

It is known that Sony Handycam AVCHD videos are not compatible with most video editing software on neither Mac nor Windows. If you try to import Sony Handycam AVCHD to Movie Maker on Windows, it would become choppy and take much time to finish the importing progress.

The best way is to convert Sony HandyCam MTS to WMV format for Windows Movie Maker and Windows Media Player, WMV format is best compatible with Windows software. Here I recommend you to try Pavtube Sony MTS/M2TS converter, and this is the software I use. It dose most of anything you want to change any format, even for audio to. Neat program. It has excellent presets for editing software like Premiere, below is a snapshot of it profiles.

As shown above, you can transcode Sony HandyCam MTS to Premiere WMV format, and then you can edit Sony HandyCam in Windows Movie Maker, Premiere, Sony Vegas or play in Windows Media Player. You can also use Pavtube Free MTS to DVD creatorto burn your videos to DVD disc.

Now you can follow the steps above and have a try. You can also follow MTS column on Pavtube website to know more solutions. Never miss to get 20% off on MTS converter in the Pavtube Summer promotion, just have a try.
vivian68
Master Developer
Master Developer

Re: What's the best codec for Sony HandyCam MTS files on Win

Postby vivian68 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:33 am

Buy Mac Blu-ray/DVD Ripper-Get Free MTS/MKV to Premiere

The summer vacation is near its end and the Back to School season is gearing up. Pavtube Studio's "Buy One Get One Free" Back to School Deals is processing from August 23 to September 20, which enables students to save big on purchasing Blu-ray ripping, DVD ripping and video conversion tools for watching movies on their new tablets, such as Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 Student Edition, Galaxy Tab 10.1, Google Nexus 7, new iPad 3, and so on.

Buy One Get One Free Deals for Windows – requires Windows XP/2003/Vista/Windows 7

1. Buy Blu-ray Ripper and Get MTS/M2TS Converter Free $39.2

(Important: MTS Converter support convert AVCHD MTS/M2TS files to AVI/WMV/MP4/MPG/VOB etc. for Pinncle Studio, Sony Vegas, Adobe Premiere, Avid Media Composer, Magix Movie Edit Pro 14, CyberLink PowerDirector, Windows Movie Maker, etc Compatible format on Windows)

2. Buy Blu-ray Ripper and Get MKV Converter Free $39.2

3. Buy DVD Ripper and Get MTS/M2TS Converter Free $35

(Important: MKV Converter support convert AVCHD, MTS, M2TS, MKV files to New iPad 3 or Android Tablet friendly format on Windows and Mac)

4. Buy DVD Ripper and Get MKV Converter Free $35

Buy One Get One Free Deals for Mac OS X – requires Mac OS X 10.5, 10.6, 10.7 and 10.8

1. Buy Blu-ray Ripper for Mac and Get MTS/M2TS Converter for Mac Free $39.2

2. Buy Blu-ray Ripper for Mac and Get MKV Converter for Mac Free $39.2

3. Buy DVD Ripper for Mac and Get MTS/M2TS Converter for Mac Free $35

(Important: MTS Converter for Mac support convert AVCHD MTS/M2TS to ProRes, AIC, DNXHD MOV etc. for Final Cut Pro, Final Cut Pro X, iMovie, Final Cut Express, Avid Media Composer 6 compatible format on Mac OS X 10.5, 10.6, 10.7 and 10.8)

4. Buy DVD Ripper for Mac and Get MKV Converter for Mac Free $35

To learn more information about Pavtube's Back to School Sales, please go to visit http://www.pavtube.com/back-to-school-sales-2012.html
vivian68
Master Developer
Master Developer

Return to Multimedia Problems