Video streaming with MediaPlayer. Does it work?

All your problems with Audio, Video and Images.

Video streaming with MediaPlayer. Does it work?

Postby Luki » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:10 pm

Hi All
There has been lots of discussion about streaming video with the MediaPlayer or the VideoView class. Some say it works, some say it's not working. But nowhere I found somebody giving a code-example and saying it works. It looks for me like nobody is able to make real streaming on the Android phone. I don't mean playing a Video from a remote HTTP-Server. I mean displaying a stream that comes from VLC or Darwin Streaming server with whatever Protocol (HTTP, RTSP).
I am able to play a remote file from a Webserver. But I am not able to play the same file when I stream it from VLC via HTTP (also not via RTSP). Is there anybody who was able to display a stream? It would be really nice if he could give a code example that works or share some knowledge.

Thanks in Advance, Luki
Luki
Developer
Developer

Postby Luki » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:36 am

In the meanwhile I am able to stream rtsp-url's from certain servers (see video_play_error-t6261.html). But I am still not able to stream from my own computer via VLC to a G1 device. If anybody has ideas or made it work, it would be nice to share..Thanks

Luki
Luki
Developer
Developer

Postby aparna.gopinath » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:46 am

Hello Luki,

Did u get any code for video streaming?
Were u able to successfully run the code???
Please give your updates..
thanks in advance..!!! Smile

Cheers!!
Aparna
aparna.gopinath
Freshman
Freshman

Postby Luki » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:34 pm

Hi
Unfortunately till the end of this project I was not able to do video streaming. This was september 2009. I'm pretty sure it is not possible to live stream video (that means catching an ongoing livestream with no defined end) with Android Version 1.5. Downloading a video file with a specified end and start to play it before it is fully downloaded works. But I think it could well be that in the actual versions of Android (1.6 to 2.1) it is possible, because they changed some stuff in the mediaplayer! I also noticed that the HTC devices have much more problems streaming than other devices from Samsung or Motorola. I'm sorry for the bad news. But if you find a solution, I'm still interested in it. Also with newer Android versions.

Cheers
Luki
Developer
Developer

Return to Multimedia Problems