Reading the part of an image

All your problems with Audio, Video and Images.

Reading the part of an image

Postby androdevo » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:54 pm

I have large jpeg or png. Lets say its 5000x5000. I don't want to read whole image because I'll get 'out of memory' exception. Instead I would like to get some smaller part of the picture - lets say 500x500. The part should be chosen dynamically - i can't predict the size and which fragment of the picture i would like to get. Is it possible to get the chosen part of an picture without reading the whole file into memory?
androdevo
Freshman
Freshman

Re: Reading the part of an image

Postby androdevo » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:35 pm

After some investigation i found that current SDK does not support this kind of functionality for any type of image.
androdevo
Freshman
Freshman

Postby imbroken » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:01 pm

I have exactly the same problem. I think we have to calculate the parts of the image to be shown in the screen. This will be a lot of fun thinking of things like zooming and moving like in google maps. Is there a better way, like an lazy loading ImageView or loading the images in the WebView?
imbroken
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Postby androdevo » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:35 pm

I think that we are not able to do it current SDK. One of the solution is to divide your big image into smaller images and put them together to get wanted big image part.
androdevo
Freshman
Freshman

Return to Multimedia Problems