Some days ago, a friend of mine happened to a problem: He had a camera (Panasonic Lumix GF-1) that outputs “AVCHD Lite” files, 720p h264 in a MTS container and he tried to edit AVCHD lite in Movie Maker on his windows 8 but failed, so he wanted me to introduce some free or inexpensive non-linear video editors (NLE) that can natively handle AVCHD Lite files? Or recommend him a 3rd party program that is especially stable to convert AVCHD Lite files to Movie Maker.
Maybe some of you have the same problem. In order to solve this issue, we should learn three things: 1. What is AVCHD Lite? 2. Which editing software supports AVCHD Lite files and is not expensive? 3. Any third software can convert AVCHD Lite to Windows Movie Maker on Windows 8.1/8/7 without losing quality? Now I could give the answer and best and inexpensive way to edit “AVCHD Lite” files, 720p h264 MTS on Windows 8.1/8/7.
1. What is AVCHD Lite?
AVCHD Lite identifies a subset of AVCHD format, in which HD-recording is limited to 720p. The name was used first in marketing literature for the Panasonic DMC-ZS3/DMC-FT1/DMC-TZ7 digital cameras. The 720p/30 video is recorded in the normal AVCHD 720p/60 format, but every other frame is duplicated, resulting in 30 actual frames per second. The Panansonic Lumix GF1 Micro Four Thirds camera shoots video in the AVCHD Lite format.
2. Which editing software supports AVCHD Lite files and is not expensive?
Maybe you will ask: Is there any difference between AVCHD and AVCHD Lite? The editing software that supports AVCHD, does it also support AVCHD Lite? Don’t worry, all you really need to know is that any video editing application with support for AVCHD should also support AVCHD Lite without your needing to do anything differently.
(1) Cyberlink PowerDirector 11 ($99.99) is capable of editing AVCHD natively, without transcoding, intermediate codecs or proxy files. Using a patented technique (SVRT), AVCHD clips can be edited and output losslessly to AVCHD. PowerDirector can output the finished movie to a variety of video formats, DVD, AVCHD on DVD, or Blu-ray disc.
(2) VideoStudio 11.5 Plus ($99.99) version supports HD formats including AVCHD and MPEG-2 HD. It would not open individual AVCHD files, but it could import clips from a folder. VideoStudio was a bit sluggish when dealing with AVCHD files. It took seconds to switch between the editing steps.
(3) Sony Vegas Studio 9 Platinum ($84.95) supports HD video, including HDV capture and editing. It also supports AVCHD import and edit, but only from Sony camcorders.
3. Any third software can convert AVCHD Lite to Movie Maker on Windows 8.1/8/7 without losing quality?
The editing software claims it can support and edit AVCHD, but how does it work in practice, I can’t give you a clear and precise answer, for some files can do, some may not. If you don’t want to waste money to purchase the expensive editing software, and still want to use Windows Movie Maker on Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7 for editing AVCHD Lite (720p) MTS files, only you need is an inexpensive and powerful AVCHD Lite Converter.
From Google search, you may find lots of AVCHD and AVCHD Lite Converter in the market now, but which one works perfectly may be your biggest concern. Here I recommend you this good AVCHD Lite Converter called UFUSoft AVCHD Video Converter which is designed to convert 1080p, 1080i, 720p AVCHD (*.mts, *.m2ts) file and 720p AVCHD Lite (*.mts) files to any other popular video format at high fast conversion speed and excellent output quality, and without audio/video out of sync.
After converting AVCHD Lite to Movie Maker workable format like WMV, you can easily import them to your Windows Movie Maker on Windows 8.1/8/7 for editing. It could work very stably without any crashes. Hope you can enjoy.
How to Convert Canon XF MXF into H.264 MOV for Sony Vegas Pro?
Playing Blu-Ray on the Mac OS X 10.7 Lion with Best Quality
Play Blu-ray Disc/Blu-ray ISO Files/BDMV Folder on HP laptop
Convert/Edit Canon C300/C500/XF305/XF300/XF105/XF100 MXF Fiels to Sony Vegas Pro
Blu-ray Player for Mac 10.7 Lion-Best Way to Play Blu-ray/media/video on Mac
Blu-ray on HP Laptop, Play Blu-ray Movies on HP Laptop