Edit Canon Vixia AVCHD video on mac imovie/final cut pro

All your problems with Audio, Video and Images.

Edit Canon Vixia AVCHD video on mac imovie/final cut pro

Postby dancemli » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:35 am

If you have used Canon camcorders to record many HD videos, you may need import Canon AVCHD files to iMovie for editing. But, you may encounter many problems when load and edit Canon MTS/M2TS files in iMovie, like:

"How to import from Canon Vixia HF200 to a Mac?
I'm trying to upload video from my Canon Vixia HF200 to my Mac computer. I inserted the memory card to my computer, but the only files I can find are the pictures. The videos I took are nowhere to be found.... I tried to connect the camera to my laptop via usb, but that didn't work either....
Any advice?"

You can connect the HF200 to the Mac with a USB cable and put the HF200 in PC or Play mode. If iPhoto launches, quit iPhoto. Launch iMovie ('08 or newer). Capture the video.

If that does not work, take the card out of the camcorder and using a card reader, locate the MTS files. You will need to transcode them to a more useful format.

iMovie's best format is Apple InterMediate Codec (AIC) MOV format, so if you want to import and edit Canon AVCHD videos in iMovie smoothly, the best way is to convert AVCHD to AIC format. Below is a guide for you to covnert canon vixia camcorder to mac.

Free download the Canon VIXIA Video Converter for Mac and install it.

Step 1: Launch Canon VIXIA Video Converter for Mac and Add HD M2TS Video Files.
You can use "Apply to All" function which is available to convert video files in batch.

Step 2: According your special require selecting the output format, choose MOV for iMovie, Mp4, DV for FCP(X).

Tip: This VIXIA Video Converter for Mac also offer clip and edit function. Click Clip option to trim video length and Edit option to crop the video and set video brightness, contrast and saturation, and apply a special effect such as gray, old film or emboss.

Step 3: Start the Canon Vixia HD M2TS to Mac Conversion. After this finish, you can import canon vixia hf to mac imoive.

Tips: If you have a Canon fs mod camcorder, you can use mod converter for mac to convert canon fs mod to mac compatible format, for example, convert canon fs200 mod to mac imoive.
dancemli
Developer
Developer

Return to Multimedia Problems