Browsing and Selecting an Audio File

All your problems with Audio, Video and Images.

Browsing and Selecting an Audio File

Postby Mike L2D » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:49 pm

How is everyone? I'm new to the website. Been lurking around a little bit though reading and learning, thanks for all the help so far! This may not be exactly the correct forum for this, but pertains to audio and multimedia so I'll leave it here. I apologize if it needs moving.

Anyways, I'm working on a project for school whose purpose is similar to an inline music player. Right now I'm having a small problem where we have multiple files of music we would like to load into our code, but in order to do so, we have to designate in advance what file it is that we are using.

What I'm asking with help is, is this:

If I create a button called "Load" and press it, I want it to open a specific directory on the SD Card and select an audio file to load... is there anyway to do this? I was having a hard time with creating a file browser to do this, i'm assuming there has to be an easier way that I'm over looking.

Thanks for the help :)
Mike L2D
Freshman
Freshman

Re: Browsing and Selecting an Audio File

Postby strider2023 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:54 am

Hi,

You can try this tutorial it is very well written and I think it will answer all your doubts.

http://www.helloandroid.com/tutorials/m ... yer-part-i
strider2023
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Postby Mike L2D » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:01 am

Thank you very much strider, I'll take a look at it and get back to you as soon as possible :)
Mike L2D
Freshman
Freshman

Postby innoxious » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:17 am

Hi there, I've browsed the forum about loading music and it seems this thread is the only one. So I think it's better to post in this thread instead of creating a new one.
I have some questions about retrieving music and play it in the application. I am new to Android development so any tips will be very helpful.
I have looked into the tutorial link provided by Strider above, what I would like to know is

Most tutorials provided about loading music is they are independent application specifically created to load and play music. My case is I have an application (let's say a game) and I have a button to view the music available in the phone (not just SD). What should I do if I want to show a list of music (without pausing the running application) from the phone and play the music as the user select it?
Basically, I have this application ready and I just need to put the music loading block on top of it. It can be said that this music loading mechanism should be the part of the application I'm currently working at and it should work in run-time. Since I haven't had any experience with Android development, I'm a bit confused in converting the available code because they are created for independent application.
Thanks in advance, any tips would be very helpful!
innoxious
Once Poster
Once Poster

Return to Multimedia Problems