Motorola/Verizon Droid; Unlocked? Is no plan possible?

Motorola/Verizon Droid; Unlocked? Is no plan possible?

Postby MichaelEGR » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:31 am

Greets,

Like several folks doing serious dev with Android you probably have 3-4+ Android devices. I have 4 and soon 5 with the Nexus One coming in soon. If at all possible I try to get unlocked versions or at least a device on T-Mobile where I have my main service and sim card. However, I have a stock no contract US Verizon Droid and simply need to work with the raw device/OS for OpenGL ES. I don't need data service or anything else; wifi would be nice, but I could get by with just accessing the raw device functionality via standard dev procedures. Since this device doesn't have a sim card I can't easily test if I can use the device without Verizon data services (IE take out the sim!). I have a locked/standard MyTouch3G that requires a sim card to get past the Android OS software screen lock to use the device. I'd like to know if I cancel my Verizon data service plan will I still have access the raw device functionality and be able to get past the software screen lock?. Since I am mainly developing quite earnestly with the Droid I can't experiment with any down time per se and just cancel service. I also am not pleased with paying ~$60 for service I don't use nor am obligated via contract to pay and they have already attempted nickel/diming me for extraneous fees + taxes in California are high on the service something like ($14!).

So does anybody know if a stock Droid with no Verizon service allows access to basic device functionality being able to bypass the software screen lock? If I cancel data service will this lock me out of the Droid? Are there any other options to get basic device functionality with the stock OS that is live for Verizon / standard Droid users?

Thanks for any tips...
Founder & Principal Architect; EGR Software LLC
http://www.typhonrt.org
http://www.egrsoftware.com
MichaelEGR
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Postby MichaelEGR » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:46 am

For future reference it was rather easy to test disconnection with Verizon as you can suspend an account for up to three months instantly without any fees to reinstate. I didn't disconnect the account entirely, but the Droid doesn't seem crippled / locked out and of course wireless access is fine.

This is good news for Droid developers as when I picked it up in the store I kind of got suckered into getting service thinking it was necessary for a "locked" phone and of course the rep played dumb when I asked in store. As mentioned previously I have a MyTouch3G that requires a sim card on T-mobile to get past the software screen lock, so I figured there may be an active account requirement with the Droid/Verizon for whatever reason.

So yeah.. Droid dev no monthly fees.. :)
Founder & Principal Architect; EGR Software LLC
http://www.typhonrt.org
http://www.egrsoftware.com
MichaelEGR
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Re: Motorola/Verizon Droid; Unlocked? Is no plan possible?

Postby emmar » Fri May 25, 2012 2:05 pm

This is a great blog posting and very useful. I really appreciate the research you put into it. Dharuhera property | Penthouse in gurgaon
emmar
Freshman
Freshman

Postby devina » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:18 pm

[quote="emmar"]This is a great blog posting and very useful. I really appreciate the research you put into it.

I agree with you, it has been veryt useful to me as well because I have the same problem and have been trying to find a solution, but with no luck. Hope somebody will answer this thread soon and provide a good solution to this problem.

Dieta Dukana
Last edited by devina on Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Look and you will see
devina
Freshman
Freshman

Postby Lipoz123 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:58 am

This is beyond doubt a blog significant to follow. You’ve dig up a great deal to say about this topic, and so much awareness. I believe that you recognize how to construct people pay attention to what you have to pronounce, particularly with a concern that’s so vital. I am pleased to suggest this blog.
Lipozene
Lipoz123
Freshman
Freshman

Postby Lipo123 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:24 am

I desired to thank you for this exceptional read!! I absolutely enjoyed every single small little bit of it. I’ve you bookmarked your internet site to look at out the new stuff you post.
Lipozene Reviews
Lipo123
Once Poster
Once Poster

Postby Lipozene412 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:51 am

Just stumbled across your blog and was instantly amazed with all the useful information that is on it. Great post, just what i was looking for and i am looking forward to reading your other posts soon! Lipozene
Lipozene412
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby Lipo213 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:34 am

Just stumbled across your blog and was instantly amazed with all the useful information that is on it. Great post, just what i was looking for and i am looking forward to reading your other posts soon! Lipozene Reviews
Lipo213
Freshman
Freshman

Postby tantricity » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:48 pm

Definitely agree with what you explained. Your explanation was certainly the easiest to understand. Tell you something, I generally get irked when folks discuss issues which they plainly don't know about. You managed to hit the nail correct about the head and explained out everything without complication.
London tantra
tantricity
Once Poster
Once Poster

Postby tantricway » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:50 pm

Great site and a great topic as well i really get amazed to read this thanks.
Click here to see more
tantricway
Once Poster
Once Poster

Postby HydrRev » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:27 pm

Been reading this site for awhile now, always has really good posts and topics please keep it up! loads of blogs are going under lately from lack of new posts etc
Hydroxycut
HydrRev
Once Poster
Once Poster

sajid

Postby sjbcl114 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:09 am

Thanks for taking this opportunity to discuss this, I appreciate with this and if you have some more information please share it with me.
http://www.genesishealthinstitute.com/

[*
sjbcl114
Once Poster
Once Poster

Postby Lipozene412 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:24 am

Another great post, I appreciate all the work you put into this site, helping out others with your fun and creative works.
Lipozene
Lipozene412
Junior Developer
Junior Developer

Postby Lipoz123 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:54 am

Thanks so much with this fantastic new web site. I’m very fired up to show it to anyone. It makes me so satisfied your vast understanding and wisdom have a new channel for trying into the world [url]Lipozene[/url]
Lipoz123
Freshman
Freshman

Postby Lipoz123 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:55 am

Just stumbled across your blog and was instantly amazed with all the useful information that is on it. Great post, just what i was looking for and i am looking forward to reading your other posts soon! <a href="http://www.health12online.com">Lipozene</a>
Lipoz123
Freshman
Freshman

Next

Return to Motorola Devices